• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help with Seb ASAP please (probably over-reacting)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
Seb ate some extra virgin coconut oil- I know it is okay for him, he's had it before, likes it, no problem, and I researched it and how much, etc. However, he got it on his feathers and looked oily. So I gave him a bath in the tub with a tiny bit of dish soap on his back (he is a plucker) to wash the oil of. He seemed to enjoy the bath and kept craning his head back, was very calm (and he is generally a very nervous, anxious, aggressive tiel). The water temp was fine, etc. However, now that he is out his breathing sounds slightly whistly and he is breathing a bit too fast. He is still wet- he is on my shoulder right now. He is alert and seems ok- is he stressed or what is up? He seemed fine in the tub. He might be a touch cold, I guess, but my house is very warm. I don't think this is a medical emergency or I would take him to the 24 hour vet, but I love the little guy. He sometimes breathes fast when stresses so maybe the bath did stress him and I didn't notice until I took him out? Any advice. He is chilling with me on my shoulder and even let me pet him, which for him is unusual. Is he sick? Any advice? It was just a tiny bit of coconut oil blended with seed so I am not sure how he got it all over but... yeah. If he is okay, but still looks oily after he dries off, is this okay? I have talked to other people who said they used the same brand of organic oil on cracked beaks, etc, and that it is great for skin problems so maybe it will help the areas he plucked? I really want him to grow his feathers back and stop plucking and just be happy. I love him so much.

Oh, small victory. He ate something besides seed today- wonder bread! I had to dry it out so it was stale but he likes it so my buddy is going to make me some bird bread! Anyway, thanks. The last time he had a bath was years ago, although I do mist him. :confused: Thoughts... advice?

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
Just so every one knows, he often breathes hard because he is what the vet calls "an anxious bird". He is on top of his cage, ripping up stale bread and chirping to music. He still looks wet (or is it oily)? He always looks a bit sickly to me because he has plucked most of his feathers of for psychological reasons (I am asking my sister to send me some King's Pluck No More). Here is an url to King's Pluck No More: King's Cages - Offical Pluck No More - Bird Plucking, feather plucking, bird cages

Hmm, what else...I think he is fine. Recently a few rats that my friend Mark and I care for passed away, and one of them looks on his last legs (close to 3 years) so I think I am jumpy/sad about them.

Will being a bit oily hurt Seb? If he still seems oily in a bit should I try washing him again even if he stresses out, or should I leave it? Can he get sick? I want to try the King's no pluck and see if it calms him down. I know some day he will be a happy, calm little guy.

i try to make this a safe place for him. I play jazz or calming music, I talk to him for hours a day. Strangely, after the bath he snuggled close to me, something he has never done ONCE in 6 years... I think THAT scared me. Because Seb is usually such a grouch! I thought, for him to be affectionate, he must be dying or something! He is standing on a piece of bread right now, looking out the window. He looks bedraggled and thin compared to his new brother Oskar because so many of his feathers are gone (it's been an ongoing issue) and now he is either wet or oily so he looks thinner. He keeps looking like he is going to talk, sitting on the bread, and he seems happy so... yeah. Just if the oiliness doesn't go, how do i wash it away if he doesn't like being touched?

Silly bird!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Dawn is the only dish soap around that will effectively remove grease and oil...even wildlife conservators use it...and never use any dish soap that has perfumes etc added..Dawn has a brand that is perfume free...that being said, keep him very warm..it does sound like he is a bit stressed..keep him out of draughts and maybe even try to put a heater near him..do not blow dry him as that will make matters worth and dry out his feathers....if the wheezing continues, then you do need to get him to an avian vet..he could even have aspirated a bit of water during the bath...I would leave him for now, make sure he is warm and keep the oil away from him in the future.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
He is back to his usual self, meaning he doesn't want me close to him and is squeaking. He was just sleeping on top of his cage, on top of a piece of dry bread. :lol:

His chest is not heaving like it was so I think maybe the bath did stress him and I assumed he was okay. Usually when he doesn't like something, he "screams" and flaps his wings. Seeing as he wants me to keep my distance again, I can't really hear his breathing like I could a few minutes ago, when his face was close to my ear, but I didn't hear any wheezing. However, he still does look a bit oily. He doesn't mind warm water being poured over him with a cup, but I know for certain he will not let me massage him with suds or anything. If I pour sudsy water over him enough (the unperfumed Dawn) will that work? I can get some more tomorrow. Also, his cage is near a window but there are no draft near him. My friend is going to make some bird bread with the coconut oil in it so that should help this from repeating. If his cheek feathers look a bit oily, how do I wash that off without the danger of him aspirating?

Also, could he have sneezed behave he did inhale some of the water? He seems perfectly fine now, although the dish soap didn't work so I will look into the Dawn. Thanks again.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Being in the bath probably added to his stress levels as well. You can feel good having him wanted to cuddle with you because it shows he trusts you and wanted your comfort. Do not give him another bath right now. Let him calm down and get dry and then assess the situation again to see how oily he is after he dries. I would be careful about using the Pluck No More on him since he stresses easily. Spritzing him with plain warm water or an aloe/water mixture may be better.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you blow him dry? I alway blow them dry because they get cold and shiver. Just make sure your dryer is teflon free.

Ginger

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
In case anyone is interested, here is a coconut oil marketed towards bird owners (he does like it and is actually calmer since being on it!)
Coco Loro 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil for Birds 4 oz - Bird Vitamins and Supplements

I also have extra virgin coconut oil I started using for myself, and it so far has done wonders. I have only started using it for me, and some scars I had from an accident have shrunk at least 50% in about 7 days of 7 applications (I really wish i had a digital camera to take photos) and also, I have been trying to stop smoking (I smoked outside, not the in the house) and I find the cravings aren't nearly as intense this time.

Here is a testimonial about the oil (you need to scroll down for the bird info):
Pet Nutrition - The Coconut Diet™

However, it is oily and he got it ON himself! So I do need to wash him again, right? I have tried different bird vitamins and stuff over the years to calm him down, and nothing worked. I am looking at King's No Pluck now. By the way, if anyone is curious, that is Seb in my profile pic and again in my sig line- but right now he is much more plucked (certain times of the year he seems worse- could he have Seasonal Affective Disorder) and now looks oily/wet so... yeah! I love him.

He's a grouch but MY grouch. Thank you Anne!

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
Hi- I don't own a blow dryer. I have never needed to blow dry him before or my cat, and I prefer not to blow dry my own hair (it is healthier when I towel dry it). He isn't shaking but still looks "wet"- how long till he dries (if he is wet- he looks wetter than before the bath, so I know not all of that is oil!) but he is not shaking!

As for spritzing him with just plain water- I have done that for years. What interests me about the King's Pluck No more is that it is supposed to help with anxiety as well as plucking. I sort of am at the end of my rope and lately he's been plucking even more. I tried to make him a "coat" out of a sock so he couldn't pluck (he will still pluck his wings though and tail)- but he panicked when I tried to get him into it so I gave up 9I got the idea for the pluck coat from a member here, who had a link. The only other thing I can think to do is one of those bird collars, but I HATE that idea, and also it won't solve the underlying anxiety issue.

Has anyone used Bach's rescue remedy on birds? I know they make a line that you can use on pets.

Here is a site for the bach's rescue remedy (alcohol free) for pets, including birds. I know I can get this at Whole Foods, and also, it doesn't require spraying it on them. I have heard good things about this too in terms of calming pet birds, but not so much about the feather plucking. However, if he is calmer, the plucking might naturally resolve, right?

Original Bach Rescue Remedy now alcohol free for Pets

Any idea on which one looks better- the king's or the bach's? The bach's is easier for me to obtain which is good if it will be long term, and easier on my budget (which is limited). However, the King's boasts a 90% plus success rate, but that's on their site so they are probably biased. I could try the Bach's first and always get the King's if that doesn't work, I suppose?

Thanks again for the responses guys! Also, I don't think he is cold, as he is not shivering or anything. He is sleeping. He still looks kinda wet, bit a BIT fluffier. I probably need to give him another bath, but use sudsy dawn water and then rinse him well (he likes the warm water)- any tips to make sure I don't get any water in his nose?

Sometimes I forget just how much I love him, but earlier, when he was breathing fast and sounded whistly, I felt so protective of him. :heart: My little grouch bird.

I can't believe he willingly snuggled up to me! He even let me kiss him on the head about 6 times! And in the last few days with the coconut oil, he no longer lunges at me. :)

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
I myself suffer from an anxiety disorder (panic attacks, etc) and have for a long time. Both my birds (Seb and Oskar) have anxiety issues due to past poor treatment, and my cat was phobic when I got her (all three of my pets are rescue pets). I think it's for this reason that when Seb flips out I get upset for him, because I know how he feels, sort of. Thanks again for the responses and support. :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would just leave him be with the coconut oil on his feathers. It's good for our skin, and unless he is bothered by it, let him be. My birds get stains and stuff on their feathers all the time. Also, every soap, but Dawn, is toxic to our birds, when on their skin, eaten, etc. Very bad for them. But if you find yourself needing to bath him, why not do a wet wash clothe or kitchen sink? The bath tub sound scary for a tiny bird. My birds, who are large parrots, don't even take a "bath" in the bath tub, but instead a shower on my arm or a spritz with a spray bottle.:)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Don't stress him further by giving another bath, let him relax and start preening himself. As suggested by others don't put anything else on him until he has had the chance to do what birds do.

Take a long calming breath in and let it out, the way you are viewing this incident is affecting the way he sees you reacting to it.

BOL!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
just so you know, tiels don't usually pluck unless there is an underlying medical issue..usually giardia....when all calms down, I would bring him to an avian vet and have him checked for that.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi Lex--if you & his vet decide he needs another bath use Dawn dishwashing liquid, but only the BLUE kind, NEVER any antibacterial dishwashing liquid.
Best of luck to little Seb--maybe this will help change the relationship you have w/Seb.:hug8:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.