• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with ringnecks

JOPO55

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanne Mccreith
Help I have 2 ringneck parrots when I let them out it is taking about 8 hours to get them back in 1 will go back in cage grab food and bring it out and share it with the other one my cage only opens from the top so I find it very difficult to get them both in together if 1 goes in I can shut the top but open it for the other and the 1 in flies out I’m desperate for any suggestions to train them is also very difficult one feeds off me but only from in the cage and the other won’t I love them but find I can’t cope

JOPO55

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanne Mccreith
Forgot to say all they do is sit on top of the curtain rail I’ve tried coaxing them down but to no avail

Ephy

Walking the driveway
This is hard. Its been a long time since my birds have refused to go to bed.

My worst one was my Kiwi, he is a rescue house sparrow and once upon a time, he HATED bed time.

Maybe i got lucky because we raised him since he was without feathers, but eventually we started a routine...and things just seemed to fall into place.

We started with repeating the word bedtime in a very excited tone, and would only then introduce his fav treat mealworms (he still only gets these at bedtime) it was a condition...he only got to eat them if he went into his cage and let us close his door. then we would super excitedly praise him for going in his cage to eat them.

After awhile of this, we gave him more freedom and the opportunity to decide if he wanted to go to bed. We stopped always closing his cage door and started to leave it open after giving him his treats (and aftet lots of "bedtime! Praising.

I think he really appreciated the fact that the decision to stay in his cage or come out was up to him. It was no longer something that was forced on him.

Several times, i have even almost casually asked him to come out of his cage after the bedtime hour...sometimes he comes out for a quick fly, or a 5mins snuggle but ultimately he always goes back to bed. Lol

8yrs later he still baby beeps at me excitedly when its bedtime, so cute. He loves to snuggle, he loves his bedtime treats and he loves the lights off. It makes him feel good and bedtime makes him happy.

Probably not very helpful...but the point is...keep trying. Try something new. Make sure they feel like bedtime is not a punishment its a choice they are happy and excited to make for "themselves"

Last edited:

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly? You may just be much better off investing in a new cage. Top only opening cage sounds like a nightmare- I can understand why you might be having issues.

I would invest in a large, double cage so that each had their own space, with front doors.

Reactions: tka

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I almost forgot although i am not sure if it makes much difference...but we also use to have 2 cages.
1) Kiwi had a small night time cage. It was in a quiet dark place and he would only ever be in there over the night to sleep
2) large daytime cage - every morning we would wake him up take him out of his night cage, let him stretch his wings and before work transfer him into his day cage while we worked.

Once we were home, he'd come out and stay out until it was his bedtime. Rinse repeat.

Birds can be tough, lol. Its a lot of creative problem solving

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I've never heard of or seen a cage that only opens from the top. :confused: Could you post a picture?

JOPO55

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanne Mccreith
I've never heard of or seen a cage that only opens from the top. :confused: Could you post a picture?
Hi it does have a small opening on the bottom of the cage but they won’t go near it I’ve tried opening it and putting treats inside on the bottom of the cage and closing the top but they landed on the top and then got quite angry because the top was closed I even put a big ladder to the bottom opening with treats attached to try coax them in but nope they want to go in the top so I open the top 1 will go in get food and come back out to share it with the other there quite comical to watch I suppose I will just have to persevere and try other methods so they both go in together fingers crossed x

JOPO55

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanne Mccreith
This is hard. Its been a long time since my birds have refused to go to bed.

My worst one was my Kiwi, he is a rescue house sparrow and once upon a time, he HATED bed time.

Maybe i got lucky because we raised him since he was without feathers, but eventually we started a routine...and things just seemed to fall into place.

We started with repeating the word bedtime in a very excited tone, and would only then introduce his fav treat mealworms (he still only gets these at bedtime) it was a condition...he only got to eat them if he went into his cage and let us close his door. then we would super excitedly praise him for going in his cage to eat them.

After awhile of this, we gave him more freedom and the opportunity to decide if he wanted to go to bed. We stopped always closing his cage door and started to leave it open after giving him his treats (and aftet lots of "bedtime! Praising.

I think he really appreciated the fact that the decision to stay in his cage or come out was up to him. It was no longer something that was forced on him.

Several times, i have even almost casually asked him to come out of his cage after the bedtime hour...sometimes he comes out for a quick fly, or a 5mins snuggle but ultimately he always goes back to bed. Lol

8yrs later he still baby beeps at me excitedly when its bedtime, so cute. He loves to snuggle, he loves his bedtime treats and he loves the lights off. It makes him feel good and bedtime makes him happy.

Probably not very helpful...but the point is...keep trying. Try something new. Make sure they feel like bedtime is not a punishment its a choice they are happy and excited to make for "themselves"
Thankyou for your reply it sounds like you have a very happy bird can I ask what mealworms you use dried or live I could give them a go x

JOPO55

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanne Mccreith
Honestly? You may just be much better off investing in a new cage. Top only opening cage sounds like a nightmare- I can understand why you might be having issues.

I would invest in a large, double cage so that each had their own space, with front doors.
Yes I’ve thought about getting a different cage with no top opening and just persevere in getting them back in thankyou for your reply x

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Hi it does have a small opening on the bottom of the cage but they won’t go near it I’ve tried opening it and putting treats inside on the bottom of the cage and closing the top but they landed on the top and then got quite angry because the top was closed I even put a big ladder to the bottom opening with treats attached to try coax them in but nope they want to go in the top so I open the top 1 will go in get food and come back out to share it with the other there quite comical to watch I suppose I will just have to persevere and try other methods so they both go in together fingers crossed x
o_O What are the dimensions of the cage?