• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with recall flight training for clipped cockatiel

Maple_tiel

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
I’m not entirely sure where to post this thread, but I figure here is probably the best place.

My cockatiel is clipped, I don’t have a say, I live with my father who wants him clipped and I’m not in a position to move out. I do however want him to be flighted when I move out.

So my question is, how would I go about recall training while my ‘tiel is clipped? How do I start? I do want to encourage him to fly whenever I can, and I feel that maybe doing short distances might be best because of he is clipped.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Helping him fly short distances should help for practice until he can fly, just don't do it too far

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You can also practice non-flighted recall and just let him walk or climb to you.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Short distances and non-flighted recall are the way to go! :)

Cat G

Meeting neighbors
Our budgies came to us clipped and are almost flying now. They like to sit on top of their cage when they're out and I've been having them try to fly to my hand and slowly increasing the distance as they get more confident. Bribing them with millet all the way.