• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with possible Chlamydia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Congrats on Peeps being a girl!!!!
:hug8:

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
Thanks BF!! I am not sure how I feel about it though. It seems to fit but now there is the whole, egg laying, egg bound thing to worry about.

I tell you what I am definitely learning a lot through this. Everytime we think it is something, I learn all I can about that and then, nope gotta start over on something else. My new project is holistic, healthy ways to boost a liver. I have some great links to get started on that you guys have sent me, thank you!! Any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks for all the help and support through all of this roller coaster!

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Still nothing. They are running another test with the last blood drawn but nothing we have done is getting us anywhere. She is no worse but really and truly no better than she was in December when I noticed something was wrong. Still sleeping way more than normal, and I can not get her to 160, she even dipped back to 147 on Saturday but is back to 154. The vet reevaluated the bloodwork with a fine toothed comb and wants to stop all meds once we finish with the Baytril. It has not made much difference in her behavior. She seemed better and ate better the first couple of days, but now is right back where she was before (still eating but not as well). I so wish there was a PDD test. I just can't seem to get away from that possibility, which will sadden me more than I can say. To think I did all of this, poked, prodded, injected, tortured her possibly for nothing is more than I can bear. Those of you that have dealt with long term illnesses successfully or not that have any words of wisdom as to how to handle the emotional/stress side of it I am all ears. She isn't suffering or anything but I look at all the pictures of the healthy guys playing, getting in trouble, etc and so miss those days :sad4:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Tara, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how heart wrenching it can be. My D2, Reggie, was initially diagnosed with zinc toxicosis three or four years ago and after several chelations, we just decided that it couldn't be that. He pulls new feathers out and has a shaking issue like you would see in heavy metal poisonings but all tests come back fine. I finally gave up a year or so ago and just try to love him for who he is now even though he's a very different bird.

There is a test you can run for bornavirus that they are pretty sure is the cause of PDD. If your bird is shedding bornavirus, it will come back positive, although what to do from there is always another question.

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Thanks Jen. Is that a blood test or a fecal?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Talk to your vet. It isn't widely available so you kind of have to have connections and it's hard to do because you have to get swabs over a period of a week and the samples have to be refrigerated. Dr. Ian Tizard at Texas A&M is one of the lead researchers doing the tests, so your vet may have to contact him to find out more about it, but he's been very helpful to those who want to test.

abbydp

Real Name
Tara
Ok, thanks. I will think about it and ask her. I am not sure if knowing is better than not. Her exact words when PDD came up a while ago were that we would be "spitting in the wind." I can't imagine if I had not come here and gotten all of the help and information that she would still be here. I still feed formula at least 30 mls total in 3 meals or so a day (10ish at a time) with Instant Ounces added in in addition to everything else. If Peep were left to feed herself, even with all of the food she is offerred I think she would have been gone by now.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There are things you can do if she tests positive for bornavirus. The one thing that you have to remember is if she does test positive, it doesn't necessarily mean that she will ever actually develop PDD but it gives you a starting point and something to work with. Celebrex has been very helpful in these cases and some birds react better to treatment than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.