• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with parrot droppings

Do the droppings look okay?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rayoliver

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ray
Hello everyone! I recently got a baby quaker parrot (2 months old) the person I got it from was feeding him just seeds and Maseca (a corn flour treated with hydrated lime). Having read a lot about a healthy parrot diet I knew I had to change his diet and start implementing veggies and pellets. I started with Harrison's adult lifetime fine pellets. She was not interested in them so I had to turn it into a fine powder using a mortar and then mix it with water to create a paste, then would hand-feed her and she loved it. I put the pellets in her plate along with some seeds but she never eats the pellets. I took the seeds away for a day or two and noticed she started loosing weight so I put them back on. Anyways, any suggestions as to how I could get her interested in the pellets would help, but the real concern I have is with her droppings. I've attached a pic and would appreciate if you guys could tell me whether it looks okay or not. I got her on Sept 13th so I've had her for 18 days. Thanks.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Ray,

It´s possible the bird hadn´t weaned when you brought her home or has regressed since bringing her home.
I would grind the pellets down to powder and add in hot water to make formula (paste is too thick, add a little more water). Feed it her on a spoon. Have dried pellets and other stuff avail to her, and be sure to try offering her the adult foods right after the formula feed.

rayoliver

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ray
Hello Zara, thank you for the detailed response. I've done exactly as you said, the only thing I didn't change is that I've been feeding from a syringe (let me know if I shouldn't) I'm offering vegetables, which she is slightly interested, she nibs on them but doesn't eat a lot I believe. I also always offer dried pellets and seeds. All this food is available to her at all times. But I am still concerned for her :( Even though she seems happy and energetic, she has lost a lot of weight. I didn't weight her when I got her but she is super light right now. 92grams I've been weighting her every day in the morning before feeding. I did a bit of reading and learned that the urate in the bird's feces should be on one side and not stringy all over otherwise it could be bacteria. And I'm afraid hers looks stringy. I've attached a pic of her droppings, sorry if it's uncomfortable for some people to look at :(

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
During the weaning period, droppings will look a little different to adults.

Ultimately, if you are unsure, are having doubts etc, then visit your vet to get some reassurance. It is always recommended to take new birds to the vet for a wellness check anyway.