• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with parrot and home school

Missy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melissa Smith
I need help! I have owned parrots for years. I have a wild caught orange wing amazon a Rose breasted cockatoo and an umbrella cockatoo. The umbrella cockatoo took a very strong liking to me and a very strong anger at my husband and kids. He attacks them if they go anywhere near him. I didn’t have a problem before this epidemic because I had time alone with him. Now I have two kids home with COVID-19 and my husband and I in quarantine. I’m trying to home school my kids and he will not be quiet at all. He is disrupting both kids classes. I don’t want to rehome but I’m out of ideas this is out of control and every day he seems to get worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank You

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Hi there! I dont have any big parrots so this is kind of just some of my general knowledge but maybe start a routine so they can anticpate things and playtime! Also maybe try to let your family do some hands off training like touch training or target training. Don't know if this will be any help but its worth a shot.

Boo-Budgie :yfbudgie: Peachy-Lovebird :piedlovie:

Missy

Real Name
Melissa Smith
Start by reading this. First It will explain what is going on and provide valuable insight on how to approach things going forward. Once you’ve absorbed some of that info we can help you apply some of it.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine
Okay I read it all and I do understand where we went wrong with our parrots. My rose breasted only interacts with my twelve year old. How do I fix it? It was a little better today and I know this whole world is different for us and the birds. My husband said when I was working he never made a sound until I came home?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no "fix". Parrots choose who they want and there's no changing that. When the twelve year old is present that bird will only have eyes for him (her?). Everyone else is an intruder and competition for his affections. Whatever you do don't "flirt" with that 12 yo in front of the bird. Them's fightin' words in bird world.

When this child is not present is when you (and others) can "raise your value" to this bird and slowly earn it's trust and respect over time with treats, praise, bribery whatever it takes. There is no shortcut.

Be aware that If you are interacting with this bird (hopefully favourably) And the child suddenly enters the room you will instantly be demoted to intruder/competition/enemy whatever. Until you have earned that respect. It's a tough journey.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Will he forage?

If so make him work for all his food, and fill the foraging toys/opportunities right been a meeting/lesson etc. That way he is hopefully distracted long enough to get something done!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. My cockatoo would scream all day for my fiance. I found that putting my 'too on a schedule helped reduce the screaming quite a bit. He knows when he's going to get out and when he's not.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Melissa 1.welcome signs.gif

Missy

Real Name
Melissa Smith
There is no "fix". Parrots choose who they want and there's no changing that. When the twelve year old is present that bird will only have eyes for him (her?). Everyone else is an intruder and competition for his affections. Whatever you do don't "flirt" with that 12 yo in front of the bird. Them's fightin' words in bird world.

When this child is not present is when you (and others) can "raise your value" to this bird and slowly earn it's trust and respect over time with treats, praise, bribery whatever it takes. There is no shortcut.

Be aware that If you are interacting with this bird (hopefully favourably) And the child suddenly enters the room you will instantly be demoted to intruder/competition/enemy whatever. Until you have earned that respect. It's a tough journey.
You are right I can interact with her bird when she is not around I can scratch his head talk to him hold him but when she’s in the room it’s all about her. He is not a problem it’s my cockatoo that’s uncontrollable and he has started my amazon to do the same now. My amazon has been the perfect bird for the fifteen years I have had him. He never did this until the cockatoo started this. There has to be a reason why. I know are schedules are different but I need to know how to deal with this

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The presence of another hormonal bird (no matter the species in a "captive" situation) will have a definite effect on birds around them. I won't beat around the bush. Being the caretaker of large parrots is a very challenging lifelong journey. It never lets up. The way you deal with these things especially over the long term is with the environment you provide and the way handle/interact with them. That may mean limited interaction with chosen. When and where this allowed to happen or not happen. Creating zones/barriers if that is what it takes change things.

These are not pets. They are wild animals that need to be "managed" just like a zookeeper would do. Brushing up your knowledge of behaviour and using that to achieve things goes a long ways.

The ABC's of behaviour

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

LouieTiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabella
I have a Rose breasted cockatoo and he loves everything to be consistent and routine. If something changes he gets grumpy and doesn’t want to come out of his cage for a few days. The only thing I can suggest about the screaming is to give your cockatoo a bunch of toys and things to do. Even a cardboard box can keep them busy for like 30 minutes and if you hide things inside and make it harder for them to get their treat, that can last them hours.