• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help with our pal Mango

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors
Hello! First post here. No stranger to having large parrots (grew up with a hyacinth and moluccans) I decided that a smaller breed would be a better fit for my young family right now. We adopted the aptly named Mango when he (sexed) was just finishing being hand-fed. He was born December 2020, so is almost 1.5 years old now. Mango has "ripened" as he's aged and is really beautiful. The pics go from most recent to earliest. The person we got him from had no knowledge about species or mutations, so I thought I would ask here. I browsed the threads but didn't see anyone with quite an orange head like him. His brothers and sisters in town are just as pretty, one brother had a bright blue tail and looked like an almost complete rainbow. Thanks in advance for any info!

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7236.jpg

IMG_7238.jpg

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue!

I´m thinking Orange faced Opaline Ino ? But I´m not sure on this one.
@expressmailtome ?

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Hi, and welcome to Avian Avenue! :)
I love the progress pictures, he's really gorgeous!

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
So beautiful! Mango is a an ORANGEFACED PALLID OPALINE. You could also say ORANGEFACED GREEN PALLID OPALINE, as most people don't understand that Green isn't a mutation, it's the ancestral color of the bird.

ORANGEFACED = Orange Face and Tail, changed from the ancestral Red.
PALLID = Partial Eumelanin reduction. Notice the diluted flight feathers.
OPALINE = Loss of the Blue Rump. Normal face mask extends over the head. Change in tailfeather color assignment as well.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So beautiful! Mango is a an ORANGEFACED PALLID OPALINE. You could also say ORANGEFACED GREEN PALLID OPALINE, as most people don't understand that Green isn't a mutation, it's the ancestral color of the bird.

OPALINE = Loss of the Blue Rump. Normal face mask extends over the head. Change in tailfeather color assignment as well.
It's cool too see people with this knowledge, this is certainly something I have trouble with.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome!

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Welcome, Mango is gorgeous!

bonjourtok

Meeting neighbors

Thank you so much!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hello! First post here. No stranger to having large parrots (grew up with a hyacinth and moluccans) I decided that a smaller breed would be a better fit for my young family right now. We adopted the aptly named Mango when he (sexed) was just finishing being hand-fed. He was born December 2020, so is almost 1.5 years old now. Mango has "ripened" as he's aged and is really beautiful. The pics go from most recent to earliest. The person we got him from had no knowledge about species or mutations, so I thought I would ask here. I browsed the threads but didn't see anyone with quite an orange head like him. His brothers and sisters in town are just as pretty, one brother had a bright blue tail and looked like an almost complete rainbow. Thanks in advance for any info!

View attachment 407187

View attachment 407186

View attachment 407185

View attachment 407184
Wow! He is so beautiful!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
It's cool too see people with this knowledge, this is certainly something I have trouble with.
I feel you...I'm just excited when I get the species right.