• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with newborn cockatiel

SarahA

Moving in
Hello this is my first time breeding cockatiel but ihave had parakeets that had babys and i feed them at3-4 weeks but my young cockatiel is 1year had 6 eggs 3 or 2 ithink were fertile only one made it it hatch july24 how can i safely handfeed the chick iv gotten a couple of drops down about 5 times today every 2hrs but these past 2 times food came out of babys nose ONLY REASON IM TRYING TO HAND FEED IS BOTH PARENTS WONT GO OR STAY IN NEST AT ALL IVE TRIED PUTTING BOTH IN THEIR BUT THEY COMEOUT AND WONT EVEN STAY IN THEIR TOO KEEP BABY WARM I HAVE A LITTLE HEAT PACK INTHEIR AND A HEATER IN MY RESTROOM ONLY PLACE TOO KEEP BABY WARM BOTH PARENTS WERE HAND FED I THINK MALE IS 3YRS OR MORE FEMALE IS 1YRS

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Bump

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If it is coming out his nose he’s not ready when you feed him or you are feeding too much at once. Wait until he begs. New hatchlings may not eat until the 2nd day, it is okay they have some of the yolk sack that they’re still absorbing.

Keeping the baby warm enough is your issue. I don’t know temps for tiels. I have to keep finches at 99 degrees F the first few days.