• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with New Tiel Please! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anny

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Sunny (about 6 weeks old) came home only last night and is already very tame because he was always hand-fed by humans at the pet shop until he learned to eat by himself completely. That's fine and I'm happy but the only problem is that Sunny has not touched any of his food or water or millet or cuttlebone in his cage. I was feeding him millet and Cheerios this morning by hand and that was the only time he would eat anything! Why would he not eat and drink on his own? Is he just being a spoiled little brat who refused to eat unless hand-fed by mommy? :confused: Should I stop hand-feeing him so he'd be forced to eat on his own? Please advise. Thanks.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Did the pet shop give you any of the food they were feeding him? The tiel experts will be along shortly to help. :)

Anny

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Yes. They gave me the pellets and millet which was what Sunny was eating at the pet shop all along so it's nothing new to him. So far Sunny has been pretty open to trying new foods. I just gave him some broccoli and he did give it a few nibbles...

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I don't think tiels are completely weaned at only 6 weeks. You might have to give him hand feeding formula for a while longer. I don't have any experience with that, though. Hopefully someone like Tamara or Thugluvgirl/Miriam will chime in soon.

Anny

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
I'd be surprised if he's not exactly weaned yet as Michael at the pet shop is very experienced with birds and he makes sure all his birds are completely weaned before they are sold. He picked out Sunny for me because he seems to be the smartest and most vocal of the lot, and when I wanted to take him home last week, Michael made me wait another week because he wanted to make sure Sunny was completely weaned. Even at the pet shop, I saw Sunny eating on his own so I think it's just the change of environment....or is Sunny so incredibly smart that he knows I will keep feeding him if he doesn't eat on his own so that's why he's deliberately not eating?:confused: Bird experts please come to my rescue!!! Mommy is going insane...

Anny

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna
Sunny started eating on his own a few hours ago so I think he's fine...thank you so much for your advice. :dancing:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He'll most likely be eating.. but, not while you are around. Usually that's how it goes with Cockatiels, some won't eat right away, others will dig in and go for it.

Great to hear he's eating though, you may be able to see if he'll have a try at some veggies too.

birdman78

Real Name
John
Sunny started eating on his own a few hours ago so I think he's fine...thank you so much for your advice. :dancing:
Yea, :dancing: Sometimes it takes a while for the bird to get use to the new home and get settled in. Sounds like he is on his way now. Congrats on your new fid. Tiels Rock.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Listen for staticy chirping....which means he has regressed and I hate to tell you this but six weeks is way too young..way too young...blow on his dish to see if he is eating..huskies will float up if he is. at the first sign of that staticky chirping..hand feed

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Sounds to me like he is wanting a comfort feeding. He is still young at 6 weeks and changing his home might have made him feel insecure. I would find out what formula they had him on and give him some feedings. You can also try taking warm water and letting pellets soak in it until they are mushy and try giving these to him. I would also try giving him things like scrambled eggs, rice, mashed potato, mushed veggies etc so that he has something warm and soft to eat. Test them before you give them to him to make sure they are not too hot. You can also try dipping your fingers in the water and try getting him to drink it off of your fingers. It might take him a few days to get use to the household too. If you have any other questions you can pm me :)

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am bumping this up

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I agree with what others have said: Just because he's eating at the store doesn't mean a) he's eating enough to maintain his weight and b) the stress of moving to a new home causes many birds to regress back to needing to be hand-fed and c) budgies are barely weaned at 6 weeks, that's pretty young for a tiel to be weaned. I'd offer lots of mushy foods and soaked pellets on a spoon two or three times a day until he's eating enough on his own that he's not interested when you offer or eats only a very little of it.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
just keep on eye on him some baby's can revert back to "baby hood" and want to be feed again if this happens rack him back to the store and tell them he's needing feedings again

Status
Not open for further replies.