• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with new parrot

Apollo1903

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I have a few months old eclectus parrot named Apollo. He’s been home for 13 days and he knows the target training.

When we got him, his wings were badly clipped and sometimes he fall while playing with his Toys.

I target train him everyday and I put my hand in front of the stick to teach him to step up. He got used to my hand WITH THE STICK (within his reach) but if I pull the stick out of his reach to encourage him to step up, he will run to the end of the perch

I’ve read posts similar to my situation and it basically says “get your bird out of its cage to train as the birds view their cages as their territory” I tried opening the cage door for hours, I tried putting a treat outside the cage but still, he has no interest in coming out of his “territory”. We had a few incidents when we removed his cage cover and gave him his food, he climbed out of the cage and stood on top of the cage. We towelled him to get him to his cage as he didn’t know how to get down and we couldn’t risk him getting hurt. There were two times when he tried to fly but fell to the ground and basically climbed back to his cage. Those incidents stopped happening in the past few days, he probably figured out he can not escape from me.

He takes treats from my fingertips but doesn’t eat them if I put the treats on my palm. I tried using the target training method to get him out of the cage but he simply looked, then lost interest and continued playing with his toys.

How do I train him to step up? I do not want to use force To get him out of his cage to train him since it might reverse the bond we’ve built. Are there any methods to get the bird out of the cage? Or any other step up training methods? (I also tried pushing his breast gently to get him to step up but it only made him run)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try putting a perch just outside his cage door and hang a treat that he likes to encourage him to come out on his own. Also, Barbara Heidenrich and Pamela Clarke are two good sources for training info.

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
I don't know much about ekkies, but I know that BirdTricks(Dave and Jamieleigh Womach) are good resources for parrot training. They have in person classes, online material, and YouTube videos. They might be able to help

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
13 days is no time at all to a bird! One of my birds didn't step up for me for a month. Once she decided that I was an acceptable flock member, she was fine stepping up. Apollo is still very young and still working out what his new home is like. He's still considering whether you are safe to be around. My advice is to take off the pressure. At this stage, it doesn't matter whether he steps up or not or whether he comes out of his cage or not. What is important is that he has choice. You must always him him a choice about whether or not he does something, and you must listen to him telling you "no". He is telling you what he is and isn't comfortable with. The only way to build up a solid, trusting relationship with a parrot is to listen to and respect what he is telling you.

"No" from a bird may be as subtle as turning his head or slicking his feathers back. If he is running away, that is a big NO and you've probably missed his more subtle signs telling you that he is uncomfortable or unhappy with the situation.

Think about what you're asking him to do. There are very few things that our parrots absolutely must do even if they don't want to. Why is it necessary for him to come out of his cage? Yes, it is ideal for our birds to be out of their cages but it is not worth forcing him out just for the sake of it. As @sunnysmom suggests, try putting a perch next to his cage or attach a perch to the inside of the cage door. These might give him confidence to come out on his own terms.

Why is it important that he takes treats from your palm? As long as he's willing to accept treats from you, it doesn't matter.

He may be more comfortable stepping onto a perch. Try offering this instead of your hand. Again, never force him to step up by pushing a perch or your hand into his breast - you are only going to damage your relationship with him.

What treats are you using? They might simply not be high value enough for him to be interested. Offer him a range of foods and see what he goes for: sunflower seeds, walnuts, cashews, almond slices and so on. Basically, he has to think of it as a treat for it to be a suitable reinforcer, otherwise it's like offering someone who hates chocolate a nice box of chocolates.

If you do want help from parrot behaviourist, seek out someone who has experience, qualifications and who engages in continued professional development. Barbara Heidenreich and Pamela Clark are both very well-regarded and have the experience, qualifications and CPD to back it up. BirdTricks do not.

Barbara Heidenreich Barbara Heidenreich | Good Bird Inc.
Pamela Clark https://pamelaclarkonline.com/

Remember that parrots live for a long time and that their relationships also last for a long time. Parrot relationships with humans operate on a timescale of months and years, not mere days. Take off the pressure and lower your expectations of him. Spend time with him in the same room - talk to him, read a book out loud, and just be with him without asking him to do anything.

I hope this helps.

Sonny522

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
michele
Hello, I have a few months old eclectus parrot named Apollo. He’s been home for 13 days and he knows the target training.

When we got him, his wings were badly clipped and sometimes he fall while playing with his Toys.

I target train him everyday and I put my hand in front of the stick to teach him to step up. He got used to my hand WITH THE STICK (within his reach) but if I pull the stick out of his reach to encourage him to step up, he will run to the end of the perch

I’ve read posts similar to my situation and it basically says “get your bird out of its cage to train as the birds view their cages as their territory” I tried opening the cage door for hours, I tried putting a treat outside the cage but still, he has no interest in coming out of his “territory”. We had a few incidents when we removed his cage cover and gave him his food, he climbed out of the cage and stood on top of the cage. We towelled him to get him to his cage as he didn’t know how to get down and we couldn’t risk him getting hurt. There were two times when he tried to fly but fell to the ground and basically climbed back to his cage. Those incidents stopped happening in the past few days, he probably figured out he can not escape from me.

He takes treats from my fingertips but doesn’t eat them if I put the treats on my palm. I tried using the target training method to get him out of the cage but he simply looked, then lost interest and continued playing with his toys.

How do I train him to step up? I do not want to use force To get him out of his cage to train him since it might reverse the bond we’ve built. Are there any methods to get the bird out of the cage? Or any other step up training methods? (I also tried pushing his breast gently to get him to step up but it only made him run)
Hi Michele I would stop using the stick it should come natural for the bird to step up . With my sonny it did . And back then I did not know anything about target training . How old is he . ok baby put his purches low so he does not fall and as he gets better with himself and grows he will let you know .. Do not towel him the last thing a bird wants is some one chasing after them with a towel you will loose trust in them . Find a treat they love .. he should be one a vegie and fruit chop first thing in the morning not seed and pelet mix . after he eats that take it away . you can use sun flowers for a treat they all love them or pine nut but they are fatty . And his pelet should be natural no color . with the target training you may want to put him in another room away from the toys that distract him .. is he loud at all ?? Are you covering him at night ? I am thinking about geting another baby next year . what ever you do some male eclectus can be very sexual in nature about 5 they start going in to this phrase he will take to the woman of the house make sure he does not try to romp on any part of you if he does it once it will lead down a road you dont want to go .. let me know how he does.