• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with new eclectus

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
Hello everyone
I just got a baby eclectus (2 months old) does any0 IMG-20200429-WA0003.jpeg ne have advice for me or anything to consider

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Feed 40-60% of the diet in the form of fruits and vegetables. In the wild eclectus parrots feed on a wide range of vegetable matter and fruit of plants of the rainforest canopy. Subtropical and tropical fruits should comprise about 60% of this portion of the diet (24-36% of the total ration).

Found this about diet

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
T
Feed 40-60% of the diet in the form of fruits and vegetables. In the wild eclectus parrots feed on a wide range of vegetable matter and fruit of plants of the rainforest canopy. Subtropical and tropical fruits should comprise about 60% of this portion of the diet (24-36% of the total ration).

Found this about diet
Thank you soo much ,but he is still on his wet food

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh my! He's so young! I don't know much about the babies, but suspect giving him comfort feedings for a long while and weaning to an excellent mix of fruit, veggies and dye free unfortified pellets will set you up very well for a proper diet.

@mythic55 can instruct you better than I can about that. She's been absent lately, but she will answer when she gets back.

Lots of love at this young age! Do you have any specific questions?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Are you yourself hand feeding him? Have you handfed a bird before? Any specific questions? do you know what his diet is supposed to be when he's older? What formula are you using?

He's such a cute little guy!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Hendrik! :starshower1:

Hagen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hendrik
Are you yourself hand feeding him? Have you handfed a bird before? Any specific questions? do you know what his diet is supposed to be when he's older? What formula are you using?

He's such a cute little guy!
Yes
I am using phase 2 formula
He is really tame , butt is constantley nibbeling on my fingers and ears , how do i stop him doing that

EccieK

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
EkkieK
Hello everyone
I just got a baby eclectus (2 months old) does any0 View attachment 336371 ne have advice for me or anything to consider
Got this chop recipe from a blog. I had never made chop, and I was pretty intimidated by the idea of making it. Ive been just putting veggies in one bowl and fruits in another. Now that I've done it, it seems so silly! But I really wanted to try it! It's a vegetable chop so no fruit, the dryer the chop the less likely to have ice and freezer burn when you pack it away in the freezer. So! I followed pretty much what she used/did, and it came out great! Some vegetables give off liquid when chopped in the food processor so I strained them until most of it was drained off. Oh and I used my little onion chopper food processor. It worked great. You have to cut all your vegetables down evenly to process them anyway.

What's in my Chop:

Oatmeal (uncooked)

Dulce Flakes

Coconut

Wheat Grass Powder

Crushed Red Pepper

Amaranth - (cooked according to directions)

Quinoa - (cooked according to directions)

Barley - (cooked according to directions)

Whole Wheat Pasta spirals

Wild Blend Rice (wild rice, brown rice, whole grain,etc.)

Red Kale (bushel)

Green Kale (bushel)

Carrots (bushel) cooked

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Red, Green, Yellow Bell Pepper

2 Jalapeño Peppers

1 Poblano Pepper

Water Crest (bushel)

Cilantro (bushel)

Red Cabbage

Zucchini

2 sweet potatoes cooked

6 radishes

2 Cups Black eye peas (sprouted then steamed)

2 Cups moong beans (sprouted then steamed)

I think that's it... Anything I had to cook I drained really well. I got about 2-1/2 months worth of portioned chop.

So preparation to feed... then some fresh fruit. Mixing it all together gets the chop all over everything so he can't avoid it. Not that he would, I am pleasantly surprised how well Pablo took to it. Hoping this chop will help with the little bit of plucking hes been doing on his neck. Im taking away his seed completely. I do have some of Marlene Mchowens pellets for a snack. He seemed to like the taste test and I knew he wasnt hungry. Wel see how breakfast goes ....

EccieK

Real Name
EkkieK
Yes
I am using phase 2 formula
He is really tame , butt is constantley nibbeling on my fingers and ears , how do i stop him doing that
Hello, welcome Hagen so nibbling is fine... if he ever hurts you its simple you take him back to his cage. I simply put him back. He gets the idea Pretty quick that negative behavior wont be tolerated. My boy doesnt fly right now. Mistake I made letting the vet techs take him back a year ago, were on yhe mend! If hes ever really naughty I put hom in his cage and i set an alarm for 10-15 min. When the alarm sounds I open his cage nack up so he can be free to play and all. But its important to me, to not cage him. I understand not everyone has a home life thst is soo safe. My dogs are small and all get along fine. Actually the dogs view “Pablo” as a creature not worth messing with lol. The Chi here is perfect and when you have that experience tells me to NOT CHANGE A THING :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
if he ever hurts you its simple you take him back to his cage. I simply put him back. He gets the idea Pretty quick that negative behavior wont be tolerated.
If hes ever really naughty I put hom in his cage and i set an alarm for 10-15 min.
I personally don´t use this approach.
It will make your bird view the cage as the punishment area. The cage is supposed to be the safe place, the space that is your birds territory where their toys are, where they feel secure.
And if your bird wants to go to eat in their cage, they know they only have to bite you and you give them a free ride over there.

Simply walking away from your bird and ignoring for a couple of minutes will suffice.

EccieK

Real Name
EkkieK
hello Hagen, I just realized you mentioned hes 2 months old.... does that mean hes only 8 weeks old? We had a really awesome breeder, she takes complete care of all the hand feeding from 3 weeks old-14 weeks when their ready and finished with formula. I personally have no experience with an Eccie so young. Im sad anyone sends these complicated birds to new homes so early. They really are complicated I can only encourage you to keep reading keep researching. please avoid seed. Seed with supplements will give your Eccie many problems !!! this Site has a wealth of info and I printed it all out to keep at my fingertips heres the link Eclectus Parrots | Beauty of Birds

EccieK

Real Name
EkkieK
I personally don´t use this approach.
It will make your bird view the cage as the punishment area. The cage is supposed to be the safe place, the space that is your birds territory where their toys are, where they feel secure.
And if your bird wants to go to eat in their cage, they know they only have to bite you and you give them a free ride over there.

Simply walking away from your bird and ignoring for a couple of minutes will suffice.
exactly thats really all it takes Ive rarely ever had to put him away for 10 min but for me it has worked. only because hes not left there in his cage but 10 min. again Ill reiterate Ive had him 14 months and only had to put him away twice in that whole time frame. But yes I simply put him on his huge play area. There just hasnt been any real issues hes an awesome boy?