• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Help with new chick

SeÑortiels

Moving in
Got a 10 days old cockatiel is been feeding by the parents but I notice only liquid in the crop and the droppings are kinda pale color. Is this normal? Please advice and thank you in advance. Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 5.31.43 PM copy.jpg F0549925-2F53-4F93-8340-0E6C9361BBD4_1_105_c copy.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is a lot of liquid. Do the parents have food available and are they eating?
What are the other chicks like?

Once the crop empties see if they feed the chick food, if not and they feed liquid again, pull for hand rearing.

@Laurie @Matto @BrianB

SeÑortiels

Moving in
They are inexperienced parents, eating a lot actually, I decided to pull it of the nest this morning and give him formula after checking the camera on the nest and seem all alone the whole night. He took 4-5 cc, still have some air in the crop.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He took 4-5 cc,
That seems like too much food.
How much does this bird weigh? (On an empty crop) A can´t imagine it being more than 20g, meaning 2-2.5CC max.

SeÑortiels

Moving in
@Zara I have a question: now that I start hand feeding the sick, should I put it back in the nest or keep him in the brooder ?

here is an update pic
1664280109970.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Put the chick in a brooder. Cockatiels tend to forget about their chicks quickly. Even if you put it back they probably won’t feed it and may kill it.

SeÑortiels

Moving in
I got this feeding schedule from a website or blog, is this good ? feeding amounts will depend on weight

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 8.45.56 AM.png

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I personally don´t like these types of schedules. Always best to make your own.
It is usefull to see a rough idea of feeds etc but you can´t use this as law.

Weigh the bird every morning on an empty crop. If the bird weighs 20g then he should be eating 2CC per feed. 10% of their bodyweight.
The formula must be at the correct temp and consistency. Don´t take too long feeding the bird while they are so small as they can get cold, and the food can get cold too.
Feed the bird in the morning. Then monitor them, when the crop is almost empty, do another feed. Then the same again, this time you´ll have a rough idea of how long it will be until the next feed (time between first and second feed), just check in a little before, just incase the crop emptied quicker.
It is important that when you feed the bird in the morning, that the crop is completely empty. The crop must empty completely one time per day.
Each day you will need to weigh the bird, as his weight will have increased, so you need to know the new weight to adjust the formula quantity accordingly.
Keep a chart to make things easier

SeÑortiels

Moving in
UPDATE: the chick wakes up this morning with a full crop and lethargic movement, also looks like hi has hiccup, he can stand by himself, fingers looks curl. I manage to flush the crop, all food from last nigh was whole. Please Help
1664368666156.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is crop stasis / impaction.
Likely caused by cold food, incorrect mixing of food, infection or dehydration.

I would consult with your avian vet asap. Usually they will empty the crop and then treat the bird with fluids (in adult birds they would give IV, but I don´t know about neonates).