• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with name for CBC!

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
So, getting closer to when I'll be bringing my new crimson-bellied conure home (this friday!), and I've still been going back and forth on what to name him. He was hatched 7/21 and is a DNA sexed male.

Some names I've liked;

Kiwi (lil' overused)
Yoshi
Rio (also a bit overused)
Loki
Aries (as I'm an aries)
Apollo
Marley
Ripley

.. but I'd love to hear more suggestions, as well as which of the above if any is your favorite :)

This is the little guy, which some of you might have seen from Welcome Lane.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We usually suggest name a bird is best done after you are familiar with the personality. It is fun to think of possible names beforehand but sometimes after you have the bird for a few weeks another name would fit better than the once you chose before the bird is in your home. Do you know the gender? Do you want to consider unusual or unique names more than the common bird names?

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Still fun to brainstorm and get a few names in mind beforehand though, then settle once the birds here. :) He's male and I'm open to anything.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
how about blaze

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I'm a fan of Monk and Tyler, but personality is the key to a good name!

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
We had a conure named Quito (after the capital of Ecuador). He learned to say "quitoquitoquitoquito" -- :)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
He is such a cutie! :heart: We share a birthday! :p

Yoshi and Ripley are my favorites from your list, but I like all of them!

cheryls

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cheryl
So, getting closer to when I'll be bringing my new crimson-bellied conure home (this friday!), and I've still been going back and forth on what to name him. He was hatched 7/21 and is a DNA sexed male.

Some names I've liked;

Kiwi (lil' overused)
Yoshi
Rio (also a bit overused)
Loki
Aries (as I'm an aries)
Apollo
Marley
Ripley

.. but I'd love to hear more suggestions, as well as which of the above if any is your favorite :)

This is the little guy, which some of you might have seen from Welcome Lane.

experienced namer of pets here to say.

It's fun to explore. Gives you something to do while you wait for the baby.

I have named all my pet family AFTER, they arrived. there is something to the the theory of "they will tell you their name"

When I got Pancake they called her Phoebe. I give it my best effort to say Phoebe.. I just couldn't. Name made me think of an old lady like Aunt Bee from Andy Griffeth of Mayberry. She wasn't old. . She is a baby.

so it's what I felt when I held her on day. just cuddling on my chest, really close and I asked her, what is your name. :)

Pancake she said. I didn't stutter over it or get any pictures of what she would be so that's how I stuck with it..

Wanted Logan after our air port in Boston. too strong a name for such a little lady.

I just like Pancake, and i think she does too.

I love coming down the stairs saying "Good Morning Pancake" and I smile.. It makes me happy to wake up to her and my dog Dolce

Let the name mean something to you, it will stick better :) :heart::heart:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meet the bird first! Sometimes the name you pick out for them just doesn't sound right once you've actually met.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I like Marley...I wish I could remember the name that I thought "if I ever get another bird"... I've only changed one name on a rescue that I've brought in ... Josey to Zia (I call her Zia Pia).

When I had the batch of fosters...Blinky became blinky after a scuffle with another bird and she had a swollen eye...resolved okay but Blinky stuck. Boober got his name because of the split down his breast which made him look like he had...well you know. That and he loved to chew holes in that area of my shirt. Tosh got her name from @faislaq mentioning Boober is also a fraggle rock character. And I can now cover with, "oh those are fraggle rock characters". :lol: I wasn't sure at first but it fits with the "Tosh, Tosh, Baby, Baby" song with Vanilla Ice in the background. (Weird and owning it!) Most of mine still have the names they came with because I drive myself nutters picking out names...I don't want the vowel ending to be the same, has to mean something...etc.

I picked Amada (beloved in Spanish) because she was so beat up and I wanted a name that meant love.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Like @webchirp, most of mine come already named. I took to calling Miss Bird LITTLE MISSY, but that didn't fit either. Members came up with the name Duchess Aurora.
high dollar race horses, or a famous stripper!
Ooh, that wouldn't do, so I just used @Brittany0208's suggestion of just Duchess. Now Miss Bird is DUCHESS (Duchess of Dawn). So usually after moving in, a pet will name itself!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love thinking of names:
Jericho
Omri
Vlad
Sven
Hiro
Halo
Socrates
Quixote (Key-Yo-tee)
Horace
Elliot
Taboo
Talon
Voodoo
Pirate
Rocket
Pilot
Anubis
Pharaoh
Imhotep
Osiris
Mirage
Oasis
Tofu
These are off the top of my head :)

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
My hobby is model railroading and Fairly is an English double headed locomotive. I thot that name was a bit funny for a loco so I changed it to Farlie instead.
As mentioned above, your bird will most likely name itself in a week or so. Meanwhile the word 'bird' will do for now. ;)
I like Ripley... :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Some names I've liked ... Aries (as I'm an aries)
I'd like to submit Mars for consideration. :geek:
Although Aries the Ram is often confused with Aries the god, the zodiac sign is in March which is named after the Roman god Mars which is another name for the Greek god Aries. So there are connections that way, plus the planet Mars is red like your guy's belly and it's definitely not overused. :DancingChilli: (I thought Aries was named after the Greek god even though I knew the symbol is a ram? :chin: )

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Of your name selections I like Aries because it has a connection to you. Maybe "Radar"?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Of your name selections I like Aries because it has a connection to you. Maybe "Radar"?
One of my favorite characters from M*A*S*H! :heart:

I try to come up with names beforehand, but I usually just call them "baby" or "baby bird" till I know their personality a bit better and a name comes about. Rupert was originally called Louie, and I can't think of that name without thinking of that song I loathe so much: "Louie, Louie, ohhhhh baby..."

After a while of having him home, Rupert just seemed to fit him, and he responds well to it. Sherbet's name was decided on the drive home. She was such a cute little yellow thing and it suited her.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
We usually suggest name a bird is best done after you are familiar with the personality.
I actually did that with my children. I brought them home and called them all kinds of names (Not bad ones : ) ), until I felt one matched their personality.