• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with my Triton's step up please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejay818

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
T Lerner
So, I've owned four birds in the past, all of which I got at a very young age and I was their first owner, a cockatiel, an indian ringneck, a lovebird and a conure. I've had success with teaching all of them to step up, and its never been difficult.

I've had my newest addition for less than six months, he's a Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo we've named Kenny. He's two years old, and we are his second owner.

He's a very well-behaved bird in general, wonderful personality and a gentle giant. However, when it comes to the step-up command, he's been difficult.

When I offer him my hand (thumb tucked, fingers together), or my wrist and give the step up command, he just ignores it, even when firm pressure is placed on his abdomen (which usually causes most birds to step up instinctively to keep their balance). He's not afraid of hands, and he doesn't bite, he just stubbornly gives me this dumb look like I'm asking something ridiculous of him. Now, I can pry his foot off the perch and get him to step up that way, but that's a work-around solution.

I've tried working with him on a free-standing perch. He's quick to step down onto it, but still stubborn when it comes to stepping back up.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Often times I grab (gently lift) my 'toos feet off their perch, and they step up. They learn very quickly by this way of stepping up. And when you do this, IMMEDIATELY cuddle that 'too, preen him, cooe soft loving words to him and make sure he knows that he did a great thing just then <stepping up>. Immediately reward him for anything you want him to do(stepping up, etc). Positive reinforcement works wonders on animals, especially parrots. And 'toos learn so quickly. They are the worlds smartest parrot you know (Im biased).:cool1:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It sounds like your "demanding" a step up rather than a "choice" and "asking" for a step up. There has to be something in it for the bird like a treat or praise or anything the bird looks forward to so that he "wants" to step up for you and not because you insist.

It does not matter what species of bird you have had in the past. This is a TOO and a completely different ball game. They are a unique and very complex species with "real smarts".

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I would start with rewarding him when he steps onto the perch. Perhaps you can hold him a bit below the free-standing perch so he actually does step "up". He will then associate the step up "command" with a reward, a "good job", etc. Have you tried putting him on the floor and having him step up from there? Just a thought...

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Kathie. I would practice step ups on the floor 2-3 times a day for a week or so. Most birds will readily step up off the floor. Hold a favorite treat in front of the hand you are asking him to step up on. When he steps immediately give him the treat and praise and snuggle like Mercedez recommends. It is important to remember to find a most delicious treat that he really wants. ONLY use this specific treat for step up training.
If he succeeds with this training then move to the step up from the perch. I have also gently lifted Sammy's foot to instigate a step up. That is ok too. Now, if he still clings to the perch with the other foot I will back off and give him a few minutes and try again. I am usually successful.

cmoore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cmoore
Please, stop forcing your bird to step up by pressing your hand into his belly! Forcing him to step up by making him uncomfortable is a good way to damage his trust in you and can lead to biting, especially in a super-smart species like a cockatoo.

Instead, give him a reason to step up. 'Toos are very smart; if he knows what's in it for him, he'll do it! At first, you can lure him to step up by holding up your arm (slightly above the perch he's already on; we don't call it "step UP" for nothing!) and holding a small, high-value treat just beyond it with the other hand, so that he has to lean out over your arm to reach it. When he does, give him the treat. Repeat this, moving the treat slightly further away each time so that he has to put one foot onto your arm, then eventually both feet. Let him step back onto his perch/cage (where he feels safe) between tries.

Once he understands that stepping onto your arm gets him the treat, you can start to "fade" the treat. Hold up your arm without showing him a treat and see if he steps onto it. If he does, give him three or four treats in a row as a reward for trusting you!

The bonus of teaching step up this way is that it builds up trust between you and your bird, instead of teaching him that you're a bully who forces him to do things he doesn't want to do. It's easy to convince parrots that doing the things you want is in their best interest, and it leads to a much better relationship.

teejay818

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
T Lerner
These are all great suggestions, thank you, I'll work with him and let you know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.