• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with my aggressive caique

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
image.jpeg hello!

It's been a while but thought I would get some help from the old and new gen of AAers.

So for the last two years I've been having a lot of trouble with my BHC, Douglas. The obvious catalyst is that I moved in with my boyfriend and Douglas (who has always preferred males) LOVES my boyfriend.

I don't mind passing on the love as I still have my darling, Kyoko, but since this happened he has started attacking me.

Generally I manage it pretty well. Douglas is perch trained, I don't let Colin pet him in certain ways as well and diet and sleep changes to keep his hormones down. But lately he has started jumping off perches and launching himself at my face. His bites HURT so I'm starting to get scared of him. Usually he's easy to read but for some reason now he will go from sweet and cuddly to "I-WANT-TO-RIP-YOUR-FACE-OFF". Sometimes I have to get my boyfriend to dislodge his beak and nails from my scalp. It's just scary!

Because I'm so scared he's getting a lot less out of cage time. I try to make up with foraging toys and lots of different activities in the cage. And I'll put him on his play stand when I'm far but can still monitor... But it's not the greatest way to live.

Any suggestions on trying to rebuild our relationship and trust?

Oh forgot to add. He is DNA-sexed male, born 2009 and I got him as a rescue at 8 months.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:
Hope you get good advice!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello there Ming. :)

You can't really have a "close" relationship with him simply because you're not the one he loves.

The biggest factor here is the presence of your boyfriend. As long as he is there in the room (or known to be close by) his focus will be on him and you simply are the intruder/competition. When BF is around you must simply step back and be constantly aware/on guard. Whatever you do don't be showing affection or even get too close to BF in front of Douglas. Thems fighting words in bird world.

When you can /will make the most head way in the relationship is outside of BFs presence. The real long term solution is to limit BFs exposure to him. Decreasing his value and increasing yours.

My male cockatoo is obsessed with my wife. He only gets 30 minutes or less a day of direct contact with her (just before bedtime) because otherwise he starts to become unmanageable.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have to agree with John on this. The situation is more complicated because of the presence of the boyfriend. When the bf is around, I think Douglas will be angry at you. I would definitely be hands off with the bf around.

I would spend time with Douglas alone without the bf around. I would give him treats, talk to him, read to him through the cage. If you trust him, take him for walks around the house (sans Bf). Let him explore rooms he never spends much time in (my caique loves seeing new things and loves going for walks around the house). Even doing things like exploring the inside of the oven, a cabinet, a drawer, the bathroom, seems to interest him. If you can safely take him outdoors with a harness or travel cage, he might like that too. You want him to associate you with things he likes.

I think the situation is compounded by the fact that he is being left more in the cage. When I did this to my caique during his aggressive phase, he only got angrier. Can you set up another cage for him so he can be out with you two, but can't get to you to hurt you? Maybe a separate cage that he can hang out on top of, eat on top of, play in and on top of, but cant crawl down from? I have an avian adventures chiquita cage with the skirt on for my caique to eat dinner on top of in the dining area. He can't crawl down from it because of the skirt. He will try to push his dinner plates off to get me to come get him, so I have to use heavy bowls (I always pick him up anyway), but just so you know the lengths caiques will go to get what they want. I also try to maximize his time out of the cage. If he is angry, I will get him in a shirt (or sometimes he will attack it, so I carry him hanging from it). I take him to the kitchen and let him play on one of the counters or to the bathroom where he is alone to play on the counter while I shower. Zeek also has a night cage near the bedroom. I do everything I can to break up the monotony of the cage.

I'm really sorry about Douglas' behavior. I know how aggressive caiques can be. Their bites can inflict serious damage. The good thing is that they are really smart. I was lucky that I was able to teach Zeek not to be so angry and aggressive. His anger was directed at me. I had to learn to read his behavior. I became more responsive to his demands (he only wanted to be with me-that is all he ever wants). I also started putting him in a drawer or cabinet when he bit. He was not hurt, but it scared him (although sometimes he liked it!). I only put him in for a couple mins. But he seemed to get the idea. Between both of us modifying our behavior, the bites have markedly diminshed. One thing that helped me modify my behavior was to realize that he really is a wild animal. He wants me to replace the family/flock. He is extremely intelligent and needs constant mental stimulation. Because of this, we have a routine where I spend time with him alone at night before he goes to bed. When he is done eating, he sits on my lap while I finish eating. I also wrap him up in a shirt (lightly so he doesn't over heat) and take him for walks around the house outside. He really loves to be snuggled in a shirt or light towel.

I hope things improve with little Douglas.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I don't have any advice, so I can only wish you luck :goodluck:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I agree! When i lock him up more and when he is more cage bound, he is more aggressive... and LOUDER!

I've definitely been trying harder and sometimes he gets in 'moods' where I can't handle him, and other times he is okay to play with and give kisses. It makes it difficult since I start to trust him again and BAM! lol

I wanted to get his other cage from my parents house and set him up in my office so he can stay out of his cage most of the day, and doesn't upset Kyo (he is in a double stacker with her). It's also a bigger cage, and has a play top. I have a huge hanging play area set up in the office which is mostly Douglas' (the girls only wander in there if he is in another room lol) so I thought it would be nice to put his cage there and he can climb up to the play gym if he wanted to, etc. Just to offer him more enrichment.

We are in a one bedroom apartment, so currently he is in the living room. The office is right beside the living room, and he is literally a wall over from his current spot, but we are worried he might scream a lot more because he isn't in the same room with us where we spend a lot of time. We leave the door open always, so he technically can still see us. We will probably set up a stand for him in the living room to hang out with us. I'm not sure if a change of scenery can help with his hormones/aggression, or if it will make it madder. Thoughts?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A change of scenery is good. He's a little too comfortable right now which can feed hormones.

As far as the screaming, he may scream a bit more at first but as with any conditioning it takes time take hold (consistency and routine). Being able to "see" you should also make a difference. Although that just means instead of screaming he's going to be flying over all the time. If he doesn't fly and can see you that's going to result in a scream (come get me now).

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think a change of scenery might be a good thing! It will add some interest to his little world.

I think it would be great to get him a bigger cage near his play gym.

Let us know how it goes!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say Hi. Good to see you around and to hear the birdies are well. I am sorry you are going through this. Having been on the bad side of a caique's wrath, I totally sympathize. Still have scars on the back of my neck and hands from one I had to take care of.

Trishc

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tricia
My avian vet also told me to change things around to stimulate my male WBC. I moved his cage which really threw him off and I changed the toys around inside the cage. I put a lot more foraging items in there like paper towel rolls with treats hidden inside toilet paper, a fruit kabob, and a plastic bowl with toys and treats hidden inside. He's been much more manageable ever since. Turn him into a "Working Bird"!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Thanks for the suggestions!
We're at the vet now to discuss some options and to get his beak and nails done. He's been better in general but he still has times where he attacks me randomly and bites in his crazy caique way!

I'm trying to find ways to get his cage to fit. Our apartment is a bit small and the room I have in mind has a big radiator that sort of takes up a lot of wall space. Hopefully we can make it fit!

Lou

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I read in one of the posts that you offer bird sitting services. Is that accurate? We are new to Toronto and looking for someone to take care of our Senegal when on vacation. Thanks!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I read in one of the posts that you offer bird sitting services. Is that accurate? We are new to Toronto and looking for someone to take care of our Senegal when on vacation. Thanks!
I'll PM you :)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Just an update!
So we discussed lupron with the vet and she said she didn't know how it would affect a male. She did recommend lots of enrichment and behaviour modification tips to help with him. So no inappropriate petting (ie: back and wings). Lots of foraging - we now have three bowls in his cage that we put his usual food portions in, as well as a load of other foraging ideas she gave us (we did lots of foraging before but now more than ever!). Strict bedtimes. And let me do most of the handling.

I can't lie, when they trimmed his beak down my confidence went up since his bites don't hurt as much anymore (they still hurt but not as much as before!) and he's been great. There are some times he gets overstimulated and i have to get him onto a perch to step up and he gets some 'cage time out'. Apart from that we are mostly able to cuddle with him and he hasn't been attacking me as much.

YAY!

GreenEyes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Odile
I have been using AviCalm for over a year now and it is the most WONDERFUL thing. Moochie had become a very different bird. She has become my BFF she is not aggressive any more and is much calmer. All she does now is play and sing and talk and fly around and have fun. I keep AviCalm around ALL the time it is now my best buddy.....

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I have been using AviCalm for over a year now and it is the most WONDERFUL thing. Moochie had become a very different bird. She has become my BFF she is not aggressive any more and is much calmer. All she does now is play and sing and talk and fly around and have fun. I keep AviCalm around ALL the time it is now my best buddy.....
How do you usually give it to her? I thought about trying it. How was she before you have the avicalm?

GreenEyes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Odile
Hi Ming,
I put it on her fruit and veggie bowl. I buy it from Canadian Parrot Boutique they are in Montreal I like her. To expensive locally.
It took a few days but it has been great. We have gone through 4 mating seasons and no more attacking me and being aggressive.
I love it.
Look into it let me know ....

Alex S.

Moving in
Real Name
AS
@Ming-Ming Hey! I see you're in Toronto! I hope your relationship with Douglas has improved :heart:.

I'm new to the group and soon will be bringing home our own little guy, Shadow. I was just wondering if you have a recommendation for a vet in the Toronto area?