• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with Marley

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Marley has a deformed foot and it seems to make it very difficult for him to perch. I take him out on a perch and if I shake at all he falls right off. He has less of a hard time hanging onto rope perches than wood perches, but he chews on the cotton and refuses to use sisal or jute rope perches for some reason. I haven't tried flat perches for him, but he spends most of his time just hanging out on the bottom of the cage, I believe it's because he has such a hard time just holding on to the perch with one foot at all times. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am quite fond of platform perches and extra thick perches for my flightless budgie. Her disability is more wing-based, but I would think that the flatter perches would help a bird that has trouble grasping tightly.

I use ones like these:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I am quite fond of platform perches and extra thick perches for my flightless budgie. Her disability is more wing-based, but I would think that the flatter perches would help a bird that has trouble grasping tightly.

I use ones like these:

Thank you for the links! I'll try them out.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How about ladder perches. He'd have more of a width, and could even rest his body on the bars.
Straight across the cage, not at any angle.

Cholla might also give him more to grasp, as they have holes he could grip.

Last edited:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
How about ladder perches. He'd have more of a width, and could even rest his body on the bars.
Straight across the cage, not at any angle.

Cholla might also give him more to grasp, as they have holes he could grip.
Thank you for your advice. I'll try both of those!

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I have two birds who have special needs feet/ankles. I have a heated perch that seems to help a lot! My one bird’s vet couldn’t believe the difference- she lost 80% function and has regained most of it. My other bird is an older girl and is pretty stuck Sticking to her dowel perch - giving her one foot a red/ pink spots. I padded it with tissue and self adhesive tape around it making it different widths and a little softer to use. Her previous home saw from a video that her foot is so much better. The heated perch I think helped the most for their feet. I wrap the heated person with self adhesive tape to give them a better grip. Hope this helps!

I also found the wider the perch the better stability they have.