• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with lovebird

David Pigo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
David pigo
I need some help , i found a love bird in my chimney, managed to get him out cudnt find the owner so decided to take him on my self got him a cage bath food . I let him out the first time and he seemed to go back to his cage ok , but now if i let him out it is so hard to get him back i have to physically catch him to put him back in . Tried temting him with food but he doesnt seem to be bothered , i dont want to have to catch him everytime as scared to hurt him or he will not like me for chasing him round a room for 1 hour , i also dont want to keep him locked up , i just dont know what to do would appreciate some advice

Thanks

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
Hey thanks for taking in the lovie :)

So my question for you is, do you mind having him out of his cage all day? I keep both mine out for most of the day and I make sure to keep their cage door open. That's where all their food & water is so if they want to eat they'll go in their cage themselves. I always catch mine going in & out of their cage throughout the day.

Also, does he step up on your finger or lets you handle him in anyway? I ask because throughout the day I'll pick my lovies up and take them to their cage, but I won't force them in. I'll just place them in front of the door and let them decide if they want to go in or not.

However, there are times when I have to leave all of sudden and I need the boys in their cage. If they don't wanna go back in, then I do have to spend time to catch them. I also used to be scared that if i chased them like this and forced them into their cage that they'd grow to hate me BUT my lovies really don't mind.

Make sure that you don't squish his chest because they don't have ribs like people so they're very frail in that area. Try to hold him by his sides. Also if you're having trouble catching him, throw a blanket or towel to cover them. That makes it a lot easier to get a hold of them.

They'll definitely be upset at first when they're in their cage, but later on they come around and they're fine. I think most bird owners go through this sort of thing.

I have their cage in my bedroom at the moment so when I don't want to cage them what I'll do is I'll leave them out of their cage & keep their cage door open and just close the door to my room. Make sure you don't leave anything dangerous for them out in the open bc they're very curious & troublemakers!

Ideally you'd want to spend a lot of time with your lovie so you grow a bond with each other. That way it'll be easier for you & the bird to do things together and to get him in his cage easier.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
That's when I bring out the millet............my ace in the hole! If he hasn't experienced millet yet, get him some.........it's like drugs for birds and then once he has tasted it you will be able to get him back in the cage by putting the millet in the cage and leaving the door open.

Danny425

Meeting neighbors
How could i forget the millet?? it's their favorite, just like candy and they absolutely love it.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Honestly i would probably leave him/her in the cage for a day or two and just let it settle in and get comfortable.if it was a baby i would probably say something different, it may be looking for a way out?

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hey! Thank you for rescuing the lovie!

I recently changed my technique of catching them by hand to put them back in the cage. Both of my lovies have 2 cages, a big one where they spend most of their time, and the other is a traveling cage/sleeping cage. Because I want to avoid this kind of "handling" I have been having the small cage door open in front of them (when they are out) and wait or kind of put it in a way they have no escape beside hoping inside the cage. Ronnie has been getting the drift now and would hop inside by himself some times.

Hope this helps/gives you ideas for your situation.