• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with lethargic cockatiel?

Levithebes

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all, this is my first time using the site, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place-

I have a 3-4 month old pearl cockatiel who was given to me about 3 weeks ago, and despite what the place i got hin from said, he is still very baby like. He constantly screeches for food, I've been refusing to feed him formula but he always eats seed whenever he's on me and he eats a lot of it too. He weighs anwhere betwen 70-78 grams, his weight flucuates quite often. He drinks water and is hydated. My concern is how lethargic he can be.

He'll constanly have one eye closed or half closed, lots of head bobbing, and lots of sleeping. He'll be sitting on my shoulder for less than a minute and already start trying to sleep. He's active with some of his toys, and he's especially active when wanting out of the cage. But the moment I take him out, he seems really tired.

I know this is a sign of sickness. It's a very obvious one too. My mom is convinced it's just him being a baby bird and doesnt want to pay for a vet bill. I know we should take him to the vet, I would just like some other people's thoughts.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you able to post a video of this behaviour?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am wondering if his weight is fluctuating so much because he's not eating regularly enough. Often baby tiels regress when taken to a new home and need hand feedings. I'm concerned that if he's only eating when he's on you he's not getting enough food. I don't have baby tiel experience but my adult tiels eat though out the day. What do his droppings look like? I would be concerned too that he's sleeping so much. A vet check is the safest course.

@Ripshod ? @Monica ?

Levithebes

Checking out the neighborhood
I am wondering if his weight is fluctuating so much because he's not eating regularly enough. Often baby tiels regress when taken to a new home and need hand feedings. I'm concerned that if he's only eating when he's on you he's not getting enough food. I don't have baby tiel experience but my adult tiels eat though out the day. What do his droppings look like? I would be concerned too that he's sleeping so much. A vet check is the safest course.

@Ripshod ? @Monica ?
We found out he is not eating when I am gone for school, he looses about 6 grams during that time, but he gains it back fast once i come back

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
In my opinion, the best thing for your new baby will be to keep offering formula for as long as she'll take it! It's best to let a bird wean themselves on their terms. Right now she's telling you "I'm upset and scared, feed me please I'm not ready to be adult". Let her wean on her terms. She could also have health issues, which would warrant a vet visit, but I can't tell you much on that subject.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I agree keep feeding the formula and when you are not home, leave some leafy greens, and other veggies on the bottom of the cage where she can forge. Also leave some fresh millet sprigs on the bottom of the cage.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your baby is hungry, and will wean in his/ her own terms.Thats the sound of a hungry unsure baby, and a wellness check at the vet is in order..babies will and do head bob, it's a baby thing,,its a feed me bob..please try to convince your parents to get him/ her looked at, the vet can be a great source for you,,,can you borrow vet money and work it off? Or pay it back somehow? :hug8: