• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with leg band looking for breeder.

Hkokinchak

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Hello everyone,
The day after Christmas last year (2022) we lovingly took in a 30ish (supposedly) African Grey male. His 1st and only owner had passed away at 90 yrs old. The surviving family wanted nothing to do with the 2 birds left free range in the gentleman’s home. They also didn’t know much about either bird only thing the thought was the grey could be 30ish years old, he doesn’t talk and wanted nothing to do with him. He and the other bird were signed over to animal control and then they contacted me bc I have another grey and experience.

This little guy was mostly picked bad except for long wing feathers, tail and head. The rest was naked or barely fluff. We have come a long way in under 2 months growing some new feathers.

My question is I am hoping to find his original breeder off the Leg band so we can get his true age/hatch date so we can make sure we keep an appropriate diet and health necessities for his age. I did confirm DNA with blood he is indeed a male.

Leg band registry had Double Clutch Aviaries in FL as a possible breeder but I can not find any contact information for them.

His band FL (sideways) CA 248.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
C7F9E36A-F0F4-4449-9EEE-7C41176A1F83.jpeg 4FA4C457-50E7-4995-AA7C-014DA4A97DB6.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Did you try calling the phone number listed next to the name? While it is unfortunate for owners, it is understandable that once breeders retire, they tend to want to be retired and do not always respond (although some do).

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'd try contacting any national parrot organization.

I adopted an older parrot many years ago and one of the national groups helped me track down the breeder (who was also retired) via the leg band. But I don't remember which group it was; sorry. This was many years ago.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd try contacting any national parrot organization.

I adopted an older parrot many years ago and one of the national groups helped me track down the breeder (who was also retired) via the leg band. But I don't remember which group it was; sorry. This was many years ago.
That would be either the American Federation of Aviculture or the Avicultural Society of America.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The breeder may have retired and don’t forget the storms that have ravaged Florida for another reason you may have difficulty finding them. After 30 years many breeders get out of raising for one reason or another. It’s all consuming. The AFA suggested would be a good start or look into African Grey breeding groups. Sometimes you have to call breeders to find breeders by Aviary names. Good luck with your sleuth skills!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I recently adopted a bird with a FL leg band, too. I just emailed the AFA and they said the breeder wasn't registered with them.

But they said, "Florida has a very rigid state requirement for animal facilities, including registration," and that I should check with a state office. (Didn't specify which one, but I'm guessing department of agriculture?) Might be worth a try for you, too.

Good luck!

Hkokinchak

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Welcome! Did you try calling the phone number listed next to the name? While it is unfortunate for owners, it is understandable that once breeders retire, they tend to want to be retired and do not always respond (although some do).
I did finally call the number listed. I did reach someone who is still a breeder but unfortunately it was not their band but the aviary name was their old name back 30'ish years ago. And now the leg band registry has even removed them when I search it again as a result.