• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help With Going Outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnybird

Sitting on the front steps
Hopefully posted this in the right place, BUT basically I want to take my bird outside so he can get some sun and enjoy outdoors with me a little!

Thing is, he doesn't really like it. He doesn't flip out and go crazy or anything, but I can tell he just seems very cautious/worried and wants to stick realllyy close to me the whole time.
He is clipped right now and I've only taken him outside a couple of times-- mostly to do laundry or to a short trip to the smoothie shop (our washing machine+dryer is outside). I've been working on him getting used to his harness and... yeah. I've decided to take it back a bit and will sit at the door (with it open) with him and working on opening the door more and trying to get him to actually ENJOY the outdoors.

Any other advice anyone has?

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Yes, the outside can be a scary place with all sorts of strange sounds, objects and of course birds are very aware that there are many natural predators outside from below or above (such as hawks that can swoop down). I would just continue to take it nice and slow. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

sunnybird

Yes, the outside can be a scary place with all sorts of strange sounds, objects and of course birds are very aware that there are many natural predators outside from below or above (such as hawks that can swoop down). I would just continue to take it nice and slow. :)
Yeah, that's what I figured :)

I take mine out in travel carriers like these: Take Me Home Cage Large - CARRIERS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Koopa is very nervous about the outdoors as well, so we cover half her cage with a towel, and it makes her feel more secure :)

Seymour HATES his carrier. I only use it when we have to get him to the vet. He jumps up and down CONSTANTLY (seriously, nonstop, it's kinda funny) until I let him out.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Can you take him out in his cage so he can take his safe place with him?

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I would get a small open transport cage not a carrier I am not sure what kind of bird Semour is but it was brought to my attention that birds without cages or harnesses it is just to dangerous . Even though your bird is clipped it can still fly into direction of a car in a parking lot or a bike in the park or even a dog walking by if not in a cage or in a harness. AND then there is the wind if a wind picks up your birds wings it can get sent high in the air and lost even if your hand is on him you might trip and he would be forced to fly. I thought about it alot when someone said this to me and we are these birds protectors and we have them tame for our enjoyment they do not know the none bird dangers out there we need to be extremely careful. NOW listen I am not saying in anyway you do not care about your birdie I know you love him I would not be a caring AA forum member if I DID NOT say anything to you about it

sunnybird

Can you take him out in his cage so he can take his safe place with him?
Unfortunately no. He's a cockatoo and his cage is HUGE, I'd have to take it apart and reattach it in order to bring the cage outside xD

I would get a small open transport cage not a carrier I am not sure what kind of bird Semour is but it was brought to my attention that birds without cages or harnesses it is just to dangerous . Even though your bird is clipped it can still fly into direction of a car in a parking lot or a bike in the park or even a dog walking by if not in a cage or in a harness. AND then there is the wind if a wind picks up your birds wings it can get sent high in the air and lost even if your hand is on him you might trip and he would be forced to fly. I thought about it alot when someone said this to me and we are these birds protectors and we have them tame for our enjoyment they do not know the none bird dangers out there we need to be extremely careful. NOW listen I am not saying in anyway you do not care about your birdie I know you love him I would not be a caring AA forum member if I DID NOT say anything to you about it
His "carrier" is actually pretty big (for him, at least). It's
24"x16"x20"H. But yeah, I get where you're coming from, and thanks, I understand that you're not being mean and are just telling me all of the dangers
:)
I do know of them, I care for Seymour deeply. I just need to continue with harness training+teaching him that outside isn't a bad place

Status
Not open for further replies.