• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help with giving medicne please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for providing that pic to everyone Gary. One comment: The illustration shows crop feeding with a gavage "needle"/instrument that is curved. A straight gavage "needle"/instrument would be inserted from the bird's right side, not the left - for those that may not know there are two types of gavage "needles".

Also to be more accurate: Safer to say that the esophagus is usually on the left side when facing the bird but not always. It can rarely be on the right side (when facing them). I believe the stats are that 1 in 300 approx. are born with the esophagus on the unusual side - if I may put it that way. Certain species are born this way more often than others. One that comes to mind at the moment is Amazons.
Very good point! Have you seen this in your flock of birds?

gary

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
I know how hard it can be giving them medicine! Joey was on Baytril a couple of weeks ago. That stuff is NASTY too! I found that out the hard way after she slung some in my mouth by shaking her head. I decided to make a game out of it rather that toweling her (which was not working and only stressing her out). I posted a thread about it. Here's the link if you are interested:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...-how-get-cockatoo-take-baytril-joey-pics.html

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I want to openly & personally thank you Susanne for always taking the time to provide all these wonderful close-up pics and instructions
----------------------------------------

Thanks Prince :) For me I found it is always easier to try and post a pix if I have it. Being left handed I am the worst on reading things and get things backwards, whereas a pix shows exactly what I need. Over the years I have just found it easier to digitaslly try to document everything I've encountered just in case it can be helpful to others.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
OIy!!! I did make a misprint! So sorry. I was sitting here at the computer holding a pretend bird in my lap and got discombobulated! Ack!!! What a mess up.
Heck, we all make mistakes occasionally, that is what is so great about this board = we all work as a team to back each other up, correct misprints and mistakes when needed and offer different yet effective solutions to most problems out there. Y'all rock!!!!!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Y'all rock!!!!!!
----------------------------
I totally agree! This forum is awesome, and what a great colllective and diverse group of people :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Very good point! Have you seen this in your flock of birds?

gary
Yes but let me explain what I mean by my yes.

At the time, I was not aware of this statistic, I did not myself realize this could be possible, never thought about it either way, just assumed the crop was always on the bird's right side. I was handfeeding at the time, like most everyone else, with a syringe into the mouth directed to the bird's right side. I noticed that the bird was having a bit of a problem with swallowing/taking food that way (etc.), so I just took it slower and from my recollection (which is not all that clear due to this happening a very long time ago, once or twice) I tried using a spoon to let the bird eat by itself or I would just drip the formula into the mouth in general, not directing it to either side. This first attempt to try something different (by chance) seemed to work at the time without any more problems. I never then realized what the problem was. Then one day I was reading a handfeeding book and behold (!) I then became aware of what the problem probably was. From what I vaguely remember, this happened 2x over the many yrs. ... I have handfed many species over the last approx. 20 yrs. and since these happenings were so long ago, I don't even remember what species I was feeding at the time. Gotta eat more fish I guess.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Julie - this might work for your lovie since they're similar in size(mine was an English Budgie)
I put her head Between my Index and middle finger and lightly wrapped the rest of my hand around her body to hold her (I'm right handed so I held her in my left hand) I held her straight up in my hand and used the tip of the Syringe to open her beak I put it in on the MY LEFT side but AIMED at the The RIGHT SIDE of the mouth (this is with the bird facing me) and gently squeezed once she started taking it I squirted the rest in - she actually liked it and never gave me any fuss And she hates being touched but she loved that medicine
Thanks, Kelli! :hug8: My millet trick didn't work this morning, so I had to do it with the syringe. I did just the tiniest bit at a time and made sure it went under her tongue. But it started making her breath funny again (kinda like when a kid has "snot nose") and sneezing. She also keeps doing that yawn birds do when they're emptying their crop. And she's very sleepy now like after her vet visit yesterday.
OK...since this is a tiel, and will be reluctant to be orally fed or given anything you must also try and keep the head held as firmly as possible. I am left-handed, so the illus are for a lefty. A righty would dose on the birds right side as Prince pointed out, but the hand hold would be similar.
The first 2 pix's are the handhold I use for handfeeding a cockatiel. The same grip would be used for a reluctant tiel as to medicating.
The last 2 pixs are of a mousebird, but it shows the formula being dispenced down the birds right side of the esophagus. I crop/espophagus feed my mousebird chicks because after aspirating some in the past it is the saftest way to dispence fluids. You might want to ask your vet if he has a dispencing tip for oral meds, if needed. The place where I get these tips also sells to vets, and the website is listed on the illustration.
Usually when a syringe tip is touching the inside of the mouth the bird will automatically close the glottis (not sure of the spelling) to keep fluids from going down the wrong way.
Tiels are not fond of juices or sweet things, so do not mix the meds with anything sweet. This will be rejected as strongly as the taste of the meds.
If in the event a bird does get aspirated it can gasp (from lack of air) die quickly. Watch carefully after you give the meds. If the bird is gasping and staggerring you might need to clear the airway. What I have done as soon as I realized this was to grash the bird and put my entire mouth over it's beak and cer and gently blow a quick puff of air into the bird. 95% of the time it clears the airway so that it can breathe. NOt too hard, just a gentle puff or two.
GREAT explanation. Good to know since my tiels may be next. :(
I want to openly & personally thank you Susanne for always taking the time to provide all these wonderful close-up pics and instructions for the board members here on exactly how things should be done and what the different types of instruments look like that IMO every birdkeeper should have on hand.
She always goes way out of her way to help everyone out.:hug8:Thanks, Susanne! :hug8:

Dawn, thank you for letting me share this thread with you. :) I thought it would be silly to start another one on the same subject. And for the future reference of other members, it will be nice to have all possible questions and answers in one thread. :hug8:

gnomegarden

Moving in
Thanks to all of you! Hedwig is ok today. I was not able to get in touch withthe vet this morning... I will try putting her meds on millet-- or the techniques so wonderfully illustrated in your posts. I can't thank you enough for your help and encouragement. I think we will try another vet... I am so upset that this happened, I assumed that "just give it to her orally" meant no big deal. I need better care thank that!
Dawn

Ps. Is there a know thread that might help me with improving Hedwigs eating habits?? In her blood tests her calcium was slightly low and the vet recommended getting her diet balanced. I mentioned above that she is stubborn... eats primarily small seeds from any mix. Has rejected pellets, even when they are all that is offered. She will eat some veggies and scrambled eggs a bit. Her fave food is millet, pasta sometimes oatmeal. Please direct me if you know of any resources. I am so thankful to have found this community and will be sticking around!! hugs!

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
OK...since this is a tiel, and will be reluctant to be orally fed or given anything you must also try and keep the head held as firmly as possible. I am left-handed, so the illus are for a lefty. A righty would dose on the birds right side as Prince pointed out, but the hand hold would be similar.

The first 2 pix's are the handhold I use for handfeeding a cockatiel. The same grip would be used for a reluctant tiel as to medicating.

The last 2 pixs are of a mousebird, but it shows the formula being dispenced down the birds right side of the esophagus. I crop/espophagus feed my mousebird chicks because after aspirating some in the past it is the saftest way to dispence fluids. You might want to ask your vet if he has a dispencing tip for oral meds, if needed. The place where I get these tips also sells to vets, and the website is listed on the illustration.

Usually when a syringe tip is touching the inside of the mouth the bird will automatically close the glottis (not sure of the spelling) to keep fluids from going down the wrong way.

Tiels are not fond of juices or sweet things, so do not mix the meds with anything sweet. This will be rejected as strongly as the taste of the meds.

If in the event a bird does get aspirated it can gasp (from lack of air) die quickly. Watch carefully after you give the meds. If the bird is gasping and staggerring you might need to clear the airway. What I have done as soon as I realized this was to grash the bird and put my entire mouth over it's beak and cer and gently blow a quick puff of air into the bird. 95% of the time it clears the airway so that it can breathe. NOt too hard, just a gentle puff or two.

Wow! I really am surprised by your statement about tiels not being fond of juices. All of mine love juice and that is usually what I mix the baytril with. All of my friends' tiels love juice also. When I'm hand feeding babies, from lovebirds on up to the big guys, I also alternate water with Juicy Juice.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Wow! I really am surprised by your statement about tiels not being fond of juices. All of mine love juice and that is usually what I mix the baytril with. All of my friends' tiels love juice also. When I'm hand feeding babies, from lovebirds on up to the big guys, I also alternate water with Juicy Juice.
---------------------------------------------------

LOL...that is great your birds enjoy it. Mine will look at me after they have a taste like I am trying to make them drink poison.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
---------------------------------------------------

LOL...that is great your birds enjoy it. Mine will look at me after they have a taste like I am trying to make them drink poison.

LOL - Mine do that with some veggies, mostly the green ones. They love their corn and fruits tho.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thanks to all of you! Hedwig is ok today. I was not able to get in touch withthe vet this morning... I will try putting her meds on millet-- or the techniques so wonderfully illustrated in your posts. I can't thank you enough for your help and encouragement. I think we will try another vet... I am so upset that this happened, I assumed that "just give it to her orally" meant no big deal. I need better care thank that!
Dawn

Ps. Is there a know thread that might help me with improving Hedwigs eating habits?? In her blood tests her calcium was slightly low and the vet recommended getting her diet balanced. I mentioned above that she is stubborn... eats primarily small seeds from any mix. Has rejected pellets, even when they are all that is offered. She will eat some veggies and scrambled eggs a bit. Her fave food is millet, pasta sometimes oatmeal. Please direct me if you know of any resources. I am so thankful to have found this community and will be sticking around!! hugs!
Dawn I am glad Hedwig is doing better today. Yes there are plenty of resources here to help you with diet. Check out our Food Court or just open a new thread in Bird Boulevard or Healthy Highway and there will be many Tiel owners who can guide you to their tips on feeding their Tiels. Maybe when things quiet down for you you can do a thread in Welcome Lane and introduce yourself so everyone can say hi. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.