• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with Finch?

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
I need a little help, I recently moved one of my parakeets Finch into a separate cage by himself( because he was bothering his mother while she was nesting, and yes I am working on getting two new store bought nests in their so they won’t be fighting over them in the future.).

He’s been in this cage for almost two days now, not a long time I know but I panic with little things like this. He constantly looks for a ways to escape the little cage and is jumping around in the bottom of the cage in a panic-like motion a lot aswell, tends a to very afraid when I come near him, but I can’t blame him for that either.

When I was getting him out of the group cage he flew out the cage door and I had to chase him all throughout my house, aswell as my little dog jr. following because I hadn’t expected him to get out, he flew around the range of three room maybe 5 times? Very scary for both of us.

And I’m just worried all this has had an affect on his eating, while I am used to 8 parakeets going at all the food at the same time and I could just be over reacting about this I just want to make sure.

And yes he is in the small cage now safe and not injured as far as I know, and is only a few feet away from the group cage and he can see into it just fine and see his parents ( who are now happily nesting in peace. ) and sibling aswell as other old cagemates but still seems very panicked and trying to get out. Probably overreacting again I know just asking if anyone could help at all.

Thanks!

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
He’s climbing around the cage like crazy now, on the top, bottom, sides, all around it. I tried playing calming music to soothe him but so far not luck.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does he play with anything? What are his favorite foods? Sorry you are having a stressful time worrying about him.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Can you move one of his siblings in with him. If he is used to being in a flock cage he is panicking because he is alone. And that means danger in the wild.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Can you move one of his siblings in with him. If he is used to being in a flock cage he is panicking because he is alone. And that means danger in the wild.
What a great idea, Elaine!

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Does he play with anything? What are his favorite foods? Sorry you are having a stressful time worrying about him.
I can try to put a toy in there, I was think about it but I didn’t want to panic him more than he already was.

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
I’ll try that but I just hope it doesn’t have the same result as last time causing his sibling Silver to get out.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’ll try that but I just hope it doesn’t have the same result as last time causing his sibling Silver to get out.
Can you put your dog away in the bathroom while you’re trying the merger?
Safety first!

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Can you put your dog away in the bathroom while you’re trying the merger?
Safety first!
Overall I had barely any complications and I managed to get his sibling Silber in there. And if I’m being honest it was pure luck while I was getting him out Silver managed to flying into my makeshift nest in the group cage and I got him out safely that way.

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Finch seems calmer now, both him and Silver are eating. But still jumping around the bottom of the cage rather fast, but much better than before.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Finch seems calmer now, both him and Silver are eating. But still jumping around the bottom of the cage rather fast, but much better than before.
Elaine had an awesome idea!! glad they are both eating and calming down!:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I just imagined I child separated from its family and the panic that would cause. Then thought about budgie flocks in the wild.