• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help with feeding an injured tiel

JeffreysDad

Meeting neighbors
Little update: Jeffrey has lost another two grams, so we are taking him in twice a day now for gavage feeding. I keep trying to offer him a variety of choices or new choices for food, but the only thing he is consistently eating is millet and some softened almonds. He wouldn't touch eggs or warm sweet potatoes or any kind of fresh fruit. He is even off porridge which used to be his favorite. The doctor decided to back him off the painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds, thinking that might be affecting his appetite, but not sure that is making a difference. My wife and I are trying not to stress about it but even the doctor is concerned. Keep sending good vibes, please.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:hug8::heart: Hoping that Jeffrey's loss of appetite is temporary, and that he recuperates his strength to eat independently, and makes a full and complete recovery :heart: He certainly has the T.L.C. of loving parronts by his side:heart::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8::hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping that Jeffrey makes a full recovery. Sending positive thoughts.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Sending more good thoughts for Jeffrey. :hug8:

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
You guys are in my thoughts. Plus, I have a very soft spot for tiels. :heart:

:)

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Come on Jeffrey! After all you have been through you just CAN'T stop eating!! You are tougher than a car and you are tougher than this!! Sending some positive thoughts your way!
:hug8:

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Just checking in on Jeffrey. Please try and get better soon.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Any more updates? thinking of you and your Jeffrey...hope you are OK.

JeffreysDad

Meeting neighbors
We are still gavage feeding him twice a day, even though he seems to be eating a lot at home, is more active and is even starting to put some weight on his injured leg. I really can't figure out WHY he isn't putting on weight but at least he seems to have stopped losing it, stabilizing at around 65-66 grams. The vet wants to keep him on twice a day until he reaches 75 grams, but at $100 a day and having to leave work to take him, it is becoming a bit stressful.

Hate to even think of money when we have come so far, but reality is reality and we're not rich people. We had a "bird emergency" fund but quickly burned through that in the first few days of his ER care. Of course we're going to do whatever our little guy needs, but it's an added stress every day, two times a day, when I am sitting in the AV office biting my nails and hoping to hear that he's gone up a few grams. We're very lucky our little boy our little boy is still with us, I guess I am just wanting him to at least be fully under our care now. Sorry to vent a little...

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm sooo sorry your going thru this.. :hug8: My tiel is also currently in the bird hospital so I understand how those vet bills add up when you have a sick bird.. :( Perhaps you can ask the vet for a discount, all they can do is say no.. Gee I wish I had some words of wisdom to share.. I did want to send your little guy some prayers and healing vibes.. :hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8::hug8::hug8: Glad the little fighter is showing improvement.

Is it possible for the vet to teach you how to syringe feed formula so you only have to take him in once a day. I'm not sure if it would be enough nutrition for him. Also explain to the vet about cost issues and maybe they will allow you to make payments over a few weeks.

Vent all you need to here. That way you can focus your positive energy on Jeffrey and supply positive support to your wife.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Happy to hear he is showing some improvement...so sorry about the added stress of expenses and leaving work...hope you can work something out with your vet.:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had the same situation a few years ago, taking my bird for gavage feedings. I would generally bring her to the vet in the AM before work and then pick her up in the late afternoon. This way they could do 2-3 feedings. Sometimes she had to stay for extended periods of time, but if she was doing better they had me drive her back and forth. They felt that she her attitude was better at home. If she had to stay, I tried to visit her every day. I also syringe fed her when she wasn't eating or not eating enough but they were able to get more into her with gavage. As others have suggested, talk to the vet and see if you can work something out, a discount and/or payments. Continuing positive thoughts for you and Jeffrey and glad to read there has been some improvement.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
We are still gavage feeding him twice a day, even though he seems to be eating a lot at home, is more active and is even starting to put some weight on his injured leg. I really can't figure out WHY he isn't putting on weight but at least he seems to have stopped losing it, stabilizing at around 65-66 grams. The vet wants to keep him on twice a day until he reaches 75 grams, but at $100 a day and having to leave work to take him, it is becoming a bit stressful.

Hate to even think of money when we have come so far, but reality is reality and we're not rich people. We had a "bird emergency" fund but quickly burned through that in the first few days of his ER care. Of course we're going to do whatever our little guy needs, but it's an added stress every day, two times a day, when I am sitting in the AV office biting my nails and hoping to hear that he's gone up a few grams. We're very lucky our little boy our little boy is still with us, I guess I am just wanting him to at least be fully under our care now. Sorry to vent a little...
I can totally understand when you say money is tight. A sick bird can blow through any bird emergency fund very quickly. Have you looked into animal health insurance? I am thinking of doing this myself.
And I wonder if he is still loosing weight because his body is using it to heal itself. Maybe as Jeffrey heals, more of this nutrition can go toward building muscle again. Just a thought.

blueyez49423

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Caroline
I can empathize with how you feel! :heart: It's okay to be mad and frustrated at the money situation. It doesn't diminish your love. And we're here for you to vent :o: I hope he starts to feel better soon. Keep us updated