• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with cookware! I'm trying to find out if USA Pan's Americoat silicone nonstick is safe for my parrot.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you contacted the company and asked if it is PTFE and PFOA free?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The coating applied on most USA PAN® bakeware is Americoat™, our proprietary silicone release coating which is used on almost every commercial pan in North America. It is a natural non-stick and non-toxic silicone that is PTFE, PFOA and BPA free. Americoat™ is clear in appearance and lets baked goods release quickly and effortlessly. Simply wipe the surface or wash with warm soapy water, and your USA PAN® bakeware will last a lifetime.

Leesha

Moving in
Real Name
Leesha
Have you contacted the company and asked if it is PTFE and PFOA free?
Not yet. So many companies say their cookware is safe, not understanding parrots. But I will check on the PTFE and PFOA. Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not yet. So many companies say their cookware is safe, not understanding parrots. But I will check on the PTFE and PFOA. Thank you.
PTFE and PFOA are the things we know are harmful to parrots, so asking specifically about those compounds that they HAVE to divulge is easier than asking if they are bird safe :) The website does state that this coating is PTFE and PFOA free

Reactions: tka

Leesha

Moving in
Real Name
Leesha
PTFE and PFOA are the things we know are harmful to parrots, so asking specifically about those compounds that they HAVE to divulge is easier than asking if they are bird safe :) The website does state that this coating is PTFE and PFOA free
It's the silicone in the coating that I'm afraid of.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
The danger is when you burn the coating and the fumes are released in the air. Silicone burns at a much higher temperature than PTFE or PFOA. That said, these non-stick coating pans are meant to cook well at lower temperatures. If you read the instructions, they say to use medium or medium low heat. You should be fine at that. If you see the inside surface turning brown, throw it away - that means the coating is breaking down. If you want to sear something over higher heat, use stainless steel.

Leesha

Moving in
Real Name
Leesha
The danger is when you burn the coating and the fumes are released in the air. Silicone burns at a much higher temperature than PTFE or PFOA. That said, these non-stick coating pans are meant to cook well at lower temperatures. If you read the instructions, they say to use medium or medium low heat. You should be fine at that. If you see the inside surface turning brown, throw it away - that means the coating is breaking down. If you want to sear something over higher heat, use stainless steel.
Thank you! That was what I was looking for.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's the silicone in the coating that I'm afraid of.
Ah didn't realize that. Silicone is one of those things that honestly I avoid as I've heard conflicting information.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Yes @Mizzely I'm not totally convinced about how safe it is - remember the controversy about silicone breast implants? Frankly I have gotten rid of all my non-stick cookware except one small saute pan that has no PTFE or PFOA and I rarely use it. All the cookware that I use is stainless steel. I line my bakeware with parchment paper and it is also stainless steel. The current rage seems to be silicone muffin pans, bread pans, etc but I don't have any of those.

Leesha

Moving in
Real Name
Leesha
Yes @Mizzely I'm not totally convinced about how safe it is - remember the controversy about silicone breast implants? Frankly I have gotten rid of all my non-stick cookware except one small saute pan that has no PTFE or PFOA and I rarely use it. All the cookware that I use is stainless steel. I line my bakeware with parchment paper and it is also stainless steel. The current rage seems to be silicone muffin pans, bread pans, etc but I don't have any of those.
I recently switched to copper pans. Was that a bad move? I researched it first and everything said it was safe.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
The issue with all pans is fumes that might come off that would be toxic to the birds. I can't think of any toxic fumes that might come off the copper pans that have no non-stick coating. I'd be cautious about cooking food for your birds in the copper pan. Although I don't know that heavy metal poisoning could occur, I'd still be cautious.

Leesha

Moving in
Real Name
Leesha
The issue with all pans is fumes that might come off that would be toxic to the birds. I can't think of any toxic fumes that might come off the copper pans that have no non-stick coating. I'd be cautious about cooking food for your birds in the copper pan. Although I don't know that heavy metal poisoning could occur, I'd still be cautious.
Thank you for your advice. I do not cook food for her in copper pans but do use them for us. Thanks!