• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with conure chicks

Moeee

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey i’m totally new to raising parrots/birds and I got a 26 day old pineapple conure 3 days ago. I didn’t know that I should have kept it with the breeder till it started weaning, the breeder himself didn’t even give me tips or whatsoever, all he said was to syringe feed him 10ml everyday and he wasn’t very specific on how many times I should or when but I do try not to over feed him. I’m really scared and nervous, I never expected raising a conure this young would be so stressful and I don’t know a single thing nor know anyone that could give me tips. Whenever I try to feed him or even get close to him, he starts being so loud and i’m not sure why. Im thinking of giving it to a vet till it weans tomorrow morning but yeah I really need a beginner’s guide to raising a cute conure chick.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Zara may be able to help when she gets on

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im thinking of giving it to a vet till it weans tomorrow morning
If this is an option then I would definitely go this route.

all he said was to syringe feed him 10ml everyday and he wasn’t very specific on how many times
This bird should be on at least 4 feeds per day, each feeding should be 10% of his body weight.
So every morning, you need to weight the bird (kitchen scales are fine), write it down and then feed 10% of that number that day. For eg, bird weighs 50g, then each feed is 5CC.
Every day, weigh the bird in the morning before food to get the new number, because he should be gaining weight.
Write the weights down in a book, keep them handy in case you need the vet and they ask for records - jot down feeding times too, plus amounts given.

Use a spoon to give the food, it is too easy to accidently aspirate the chick with syringe. Spoons are best for novices.

Formula should be 105F (40.5C) every time (check with thermometer).
Never use microwave, never reuse/reheat old formula. make it every time.

Start with the 4 feeds of 10%, see how you get on, if the birds crop is empty when the next feed comes, then add an extra feed per day (so 5 per day) .
The crop needs to empty once per 24 hours - overnight is the best time for this.
Other feeds are ok to give when there´s a little food still in the crop. You don´t want the crop to empty completely every single time.

Brooder needs to be lined with a few inches of aspen shavings (course pine is ok if aspen not avail.)
Brooder temp 83F
Humidity @ 60-65% (you can create humidity with a wet piece of kitchen paper on a plate in the brooder. Never ever put a bowl of water in the brooder.

Here is a thread with lots of info,
-How to check the crop, what it is and general 101
-how to mix the food correctly
-how to make a feeder spoon
-formula instructions for s bunch of manufacturers (in case you don´t have your instructions)
-a chart to use cfor logging weight and other info
-and more

Last edited:

Charlietoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
If this is an option then I would definitely go this route.

This bird should be on at least 4 feeds per day, each feeding should be 10% of his body weight.
So every morning, you need to weight the bird (kitchen scales are fine), write it down and then feed 10% of that number that day. For eg, bird weighs 50g, then each feed is 5CC.
Every day, weigh the bird in the morning before food to get the new number, because he should be gaining weight.
Write the weights down in a book, keep them handy in case you need the vet and they ask for records - jot down feeding times too, plus amounts given.

Use a spoon to give the food, it is too easy to accidently aspirate the chick with syringe. Spoons are best for novices.

Formula should be 105C every time (check with thermometer).
Never use microwave, never reuse/reheat old formula. make it every time.

Start with the 4 feeds of 10%, see how you get on, if the birds crop is empty when the next feed comes, then add an extra feed per day (so 5 per day) .
The crop needs to empty once per 24 hours - overnight is the best time for this.
Other feeds are ok to give when there´s a little food still in the crop. You don´t want the crop to empty completely every single time.

Brooder needs to be lined with a few inches of aspen shavings (course pine is ok if aspen not avail.)
Brooder temp 83F
Humidity @ 60-65% (you can create humidity with a wet piece of kitchen paper on a plate in the brooder. Never ever put a bowl of water in the brooder.

Here is a thread with lots of info,
-How to check the crop, what it is and general 101
-how to mix the food correctly
-how to make a feeder spoon
-formula instructions for s bunch of manufacturers (in case you don´t have your instructions)
-a chart to use cfor logging weight and other info
-and more
@Zara if I may, you said the formula temp should be 105C but I’m sure you meant 105 F

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes F. Zara is awesome and tries to convert everything over for us when applicable!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks @Charlietoo !! Yes, F not C.
I will change that on my first post to avoid confusion, thanks for flagging it!