• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with cockatiel

sweetie54

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
URGENT! I need some help. My cockatiel, Sweetie is 19 and blind. Yesterday, he woke up fine but when I came back to his room, he was unconscious, leaning against his cuttlebone. I thought he passed away but instead he was listless, eyes closed all day. So I held him for 9 hours on a heating pad and around 10:30 he snapped out of it and ate some food, climbed around went on his bed and back into this coma. This morning he was listless but is now eating and drinking. He isn't singing very well and seems to want to go back to the sleeping part. I have an avian vet 30 minutes from here but the experience I had when I took my Pacific Parrotlet in for an extended seizure was so horrible I can't bring myself to take Sweetie in. Am I wrong?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I guess you need to weigh your options. First, what went wrong with your previous visit?

Are there other vets you can see? Maybe farther away?

I can't tell you what is wrong with your bird or whether an Avian vet will be able to do anything for him right now. I hope it's temporary but it sounds scary enough where I would want to explore my options.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I updated your thread title so hopefully that helps more people see this :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are there any other vets you can go to? Or maybe eve do an online consultation?

sweetie54

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
I guess you need to weigh your options. First, what went wrong with your previous visit?

Are there other vets you can see? Maybe farther away?

I can't tell you what is wrong with your bird or whether an Avian vet will be able to do anything for him right now. I hope it's temporary but it sounds scary enough where I would want to explore my options.
Thank you so much for that. I will call the vet. I know I should have earlier but the last experience there was putting a parrotlet down and it didn't go well.
I updated your thread title so hopefully that helps more people see this :)

sweetie54

Moving in
Real Name
Nancy
Thank you so much for that. I will call the vet. I know I should have earlier but the last experience there was putting a parrotlet down and it didn't go well.
OK, reporting on Sweetie. We went to the vet yesterday and after taking an x-ray it was confirmed he had had a stroke. But even though he's 19yrs old, he is pretty plucky today(no pun intended;) but a bit sleepy. He has some enlarged arteries so he's getting medication for that. Thank you everyone for your words of support!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So pleased to hear Sweetie was checked out and you were able to get some meds to help him, I hope he feels better soon.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm glad he's okay! I hope your experience with the vet went better this time too :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear he's feeling better and that your experience at this clinic wasn't as bad as last time.