• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP with Budgie...need advice ASAP!@!!!!!!!

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

I was contacted by one of my adopters that their 2-3 year old budgie is having spazms, runny stool, head goes backwards like its turned incorrectly, breathing hard, chest puffed up. The vets office is not open and our 24 hour in the area is NOT avian.
The vets office is not open until monday. Contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Crystal it sounds like the bird is having a seizure. Can they contact the non avian vet to see if they could get the bird in and stabilize it?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I think so too.
I am calling her again.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Crystal at least the vet can provide some supportive care like oxygen and warmth and fluids. Keep us updated.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
definitely a seizure..that bird needs a vet asap...however, if they absolutely cannot get an avian vet an emergency vet # or something...then keep the birdie warm as possible and provide a hospital environment..a hospital cage..or a small travel cage

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
cover 3 sides of the cage, keep the room quiet and dim lighted and peaceful
provide low perchs
place a millet stalk on the cage floor and ring a vet

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The bird needs to be seen by a vet. It sounds like a seizure that could be brought on by heavy metal poisoning, chlamydia, toxins, to name a few possibilities. What does the birds latest poops look like for color, etc.

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
In the mean time if the owner can't find a vet: Keep the bird warm 85-87 degrees, give the bird fluids for hydration. Add aloe-detox to drinking water or syringe water if owner feel like it could be something toxic, this will help protect the liver. A vet that does not see avians is going to be hard pressed to help more than supportive care without more information from the owner. Any vet will need some history, what has it been eating and drinking? What has it been chewing on? Has the bird been around perfume, Teflon, toxins, poison plants, etc. A bird in this state will more than likely require sub-q fluids if not taking fluids by mouth. Oxygen helps with seizures.

Do not force fluids down the birds throat!

gary

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Ok, contacted her with the information provided here.
The issue with the only emergency vet around is they prescibe baytril and send u home. that is ALL they do...nothing else. EVERYONE gets baytril, then gets sent home.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
lots of good/positive thoughts coming!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
o dear...poor budgie.
I am no expert, but I have experience with budgies and seizures, as I lost dear Sparkles to them, and Lilly an ederly budgie had one before she passed.
hopefully it is not a seizure from ingesting something toxic. Upon mine starting the seizure, i removed them to a hospital/tiny travel cage and kept them qiuet and covered. I remember Lillys head turning funny as she was coming out of it and getting control back. The whole ordeal for her lasted an hour.
This budgie is so young and that worries me. Lilly was old, and I knew thats why she had one.
Sure hope the little love gets better and recovers 100%. Sparkles could not use his right side after his major stroke.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Sorry I am juggling birds here, and lots of phone calls....

Ok..so she said nothing has changed , no new cleaners, no new toys, etc.
She has had 2 GCC die within the past 6 months, they were siblings and was thought it to be a genetic issue.
Nothing has changed in the situation with the budgie.
No new cages
No drafts
NADA

She is on her way now to the emergency clinic.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Crystal do you know if this person uses Teflon coated pans? Did she have a necropsy done on the GCC's?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I know she does not have tephlon coated pans and she did not have the necropsy done. She was devestated and I wish she would have. Definately.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Sending many many positive thoughts for the little guy!!! I hope the vet will do more than that in this case! Like contacting an avian vet by phone for support if needed :hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

UPDATE :

The budgie will be going back to the vet today...she looks like she is suffering. Nothing has helped so far. I will be updated later as it looks as if the budgie will be going to the rainbow bridge

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sorry to hear this Crystal, keep us updated when you can

:Hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.