• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with an extremely bitey bird

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
In the midst of losing Isla and Bee, 2 other birds have fallen into our laps (one of them being my dad's). I got Marley I believe in Januaryish, a lady in our facebook marketplace local group messaged me seeing I had birds and offered me him. She just plain didn't have the time he needed anymore since she was going back to school and already had several kids. Before you say it, yes I know I don't need more animals. I was very hesitant about it but he has been helping me move on from my 2 babies I've lost though I'll never fully be over them. He is gonna be a lot of work, he will NOT step up on hands, only on the perch I use to have him step up on. He has the typical quaker cage aggression but he's still very aggressive out of cage if you offer your hands at all. The lady I got him from said he was abused by the couple who had him before her, not sure how, I didn't ask as she seemed sensitive about the subject. He is disabled, it is pretty hard for him to perch as his left foot is deformed. He does pluck as well. He had a checkup and disease testing before he came into my house but I have yet to take him to our normal avian vet. He's very sweet to me besides my hands. He'll stay on my chest for hours and talk, whistle, dance, and kiss my face. If he flies onto the ground and I walk away he'll follow me like a little puppy. I do need advice to help him with hands though, his bites do NOT feel good. He has gotten on my hand willingly on his own accord once, and here was a picture of it :)

1614717384032.png

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
What a cutie patootie! Oh, Anna, I think it's great that you are able to help these guys. I have a lot of creatures to care for too. If it gets to be too much, you have the experience and knowledge to help find them find a good next home, so don't worry.

I bet he's just telling you about his fears. I hope hands didn't cause any pain, but they definitely caused some fear. Maybe it will take time, but maybe it will be his preference forevermore?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
What a cutie patootie! Oh, Anna, I think it's great that you are able to help these guys. I have a lot of creatures to care for too. If it gets to be too much, you have the experience and knowledge to help find them find a good next home, so don't worry.

I bet he's just telling you about his fears. I hope hands didn't cause any pain, but they definitely caused some fear. Maybe it will take time, but maybe it will be his preference forevermore?
I've wondered if he'll be like that forever as well. Thank you for your reassurance, you've always been so sweet! I hope hands haven't caused any pain as well, he is such a sweet little guy, no one deserves that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Hahns loved me but she was always a No Hands Bird. I don't know if I had more time with her if I would have changed that. She trusted me, she loved me, but she did not do hands. That he's using a step up perch is good and I would not push the hands issues just yet. Baby steps.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
He's a cutie! Does he take treats from your hand? If not, maybe you could work up to it? In my experience, I've seen difficult cases are best taken very, very slow. Basically everything should be comfortably their choice. Lots of postive reinforcement. I'm sure you already know it, but I know I've have to remind myself to give Felix lots of treats (even for just being around me). This is my experience as a rookie.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Aww, he's a cutie. :)

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
He's a cutie! Does he take treats from your hand? If not, maybe you could work up to it? In my experience, I've seen difficult cases are best taken very, very slow. Basically everything should be comfortably their choice. Lots of postive reinforcement. I'm sure you already know it, but I know I've have to remind myself to give Felix lots of treats (even for just being around me). This is my experience as a rookie.
He really likes sunflower seeds in shell, he'll take a couple from my hands but then he just starts biting after about 4. He's definitely gonna be a little guy who takes a lot of time!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
He really likes sunflower seeds in shell, he'll take a couple from my hands but then he just starts biting after about 4. He's definitely gonna be a little guy who takes a lot of time!
Felix likes those too. Maybe keep your hand out of reach? Like offer from the tips of your fingers where he has to stretch to reach it. Or use a cup/spoon to give it to him. Bites are no fun:)