• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with AG

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I just moved back to a place I stayed 2 years ago. I am a live-in caregiver and took another position and now back where I lived the previous 2 years. (Confusing, sorry). The man who owns this home is legally blind, and has several birds. One is an AG who he has not worked with due to his sight.
Since I have been back, she is coming out of her shell. She is a sweet girl, and I believe she remembers me. She gives me kisses, and now she comes out of her cage as if she wants something but I don't know what. She beaks my shirt, hangs off the cage reaching for me, but won't step up. Is she testing me? I admit I am a bit afraid of her (and I know she senses it) yet I let her kiss my lips...lol. I have gotten more brave, I used to be very afraid of her (big beaks), but I have offered her my arm to step up, yet she doesn't. Any thoughts? Advice? I've tried the usual stuff. She gets so excited when I come in the room. She kisses gently, she's not aggressive. But definitely wants something from me. Help! I want to bond closer to her. She's amazing.

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Her cage looks small and very bare.
I'd suggest giving her some enrichment first.
Toys, new natural perch, etc...

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'd say start giving her treats. Soon enough she will understand that you are not all that intimidating. I think birds are likely to be gentle to our faces such as the lips, this might be because they do touch beaks together in the wild. You can use the "reaching towards me" to your advantage. Help her get to you by having her step up onto your hand when you see that she wants to come to you. What does she do that she doesn't step up when she reaches for you?

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I have given her toys, placing them away from her at first and moving them closer, bit she won't play with anything but the one toy. I give her apple and grapes, banana, raw almonds etc as treats, and have been giving all the birds chop since moving back in.
She usually reaches for my back, or fingers unless nibbling on my shirt sleeve. She used to step up years ago, but has become more cage bound since he has lost his sight. Her cage is open 24/7. We have tried natural perches, and she won't step on them. She mainly stays on her swing.