• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help with a native bird

belinda 8888

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

We have just rescued a baby magpie from our dogs mouth obviously destined for dinner.
We live over 400kms from a wildlife rescue so we usually get our neighbour to humanley euthinase any injured wildlife we find on our property. Although my 6 year old daughter really wants to help the bird.

The bird is fledging age, healthy looking but looks like its got a broken leg. I can see a bend in one of the legs just below the knee and the toes are just limp.
Is there anything in the way of a bandage or splint or something i could do up to give the leg a chance to heal.

I dont know if this is the right place to ask but any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the site :)

@Birdbabe may be of some help here.

Hopefully your dog did not do too much damage. Dog saliva is toxic so hopefully your dog is not like mine and dripping spit every where.
I wish you luck with this magpie baby.......I do love the feisty cheeky maggies :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes but you have to do this very carefully and it may lose the leg anyway. But birds can adapt to having one leg.it will probably require 2 people.

First. Hold the leg just above and below the break and give a gentle tug to set it.

then if any skin is broken wipe with betadine wash or similar. I think we’re in different countries so you might have to google.

Next, take 2 cotton buds and align along each side of the leg. Tape in place with tape or bandaids, which are good because they won’t stick on the wound. Trim everything nice and tidy.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also use a straw, wrap the leg in cotton like @finchly says,,,split the straw on one side, place it around the leg and tape it up..itll take a good six weeks to heal, can you post a pic? Make sure the leg is warm, this means blood flow is good, wishing you luck!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can also use a straw, wrap the leg in cotton like @finchly says,,,split the straw on one side, place it around the leg and tape it up..itll take a good six weeks to heal, can you post a pic? Make sure the leg is warm, this means blood flow is good, wishing you luck!!
Meant to tag you, thanks for chiming in. A straw! Great idea. There's no problem with the lack of air inside the straw?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
You can also use old fashion wooden farmer matches as splints just remove the red head of the match and split the match with a exacto knife for clean edge and wrap it a single layer of vet wrap.