• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with a GCC..

Lillianna

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!

I signed up for the site so I would be able to ask this because I'm at a lost since I have never worked with birds, or animals in general before. I thought if I could post here and get some advice that would help me more than trying to navigate through and find help for my situation.

I live with my sister and she has two birds, one Ringneck, and one Green cheek. Most times since they are her birds, she does give them care, feed them, bathe them, etc. Yet lately, the green cheek has been giving her problems because he is uncomfortable with her, and becomes aggressive with her. She told me that it is because he has imprinted on me, even though I don't care for him. We figured because she's at work most times, and I tend to be home more often than she, and he would always see me, that's how he started to gravitate towards me instead of her. He doesn't become aggressive when she has me handle him, or remove his bowls from his cage.

So since he likes me, she wants me to work with him more to be more comfortable being handled by others and help with his aggressive behavior. This is the part where I'm stuck. I don't know how to go about this, and I would appreciate any advice given!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Can you explain more what you mean by aggressive? GCCs can by on the nippy side. And parrots often choose their people. So, it is very possible that this bird has chosen you. Does he step up? That's a good place to start with teaching him if he doesn't.

@webchirp ?

Lillianna

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the forum. Can you explain more what you mean by aggressive? GCCs can by on the nippy side. And parrots often choose their people. So, it is very possible that this bird has chosen you. Does he step up? That's a good place to start with teaching him if he doesn't.

@webchirp ?
He is nippy a lot with her, but he really bites my sister leaving marks on her with even just putting his food bowl inside his cage. So she has me change things in his cage for her. He also puffs himself up aggressively when she comes around. He does know how to step up. He can step up with my hand, but my sister has to use a stick since he keeps trying to bite her when she tries it with hers.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue:)

Sounds like you have yourself a new best friend!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Is her Ringneck okay being handled by strangers? Most birds I don't think are immediately open to strangers. My conure and lovebird allow me to handle them constantly, but they won't go to anyone else.

Some birds are one person birds, and you might be that person! To reduce his aggression towards your sister I think its her who needs to work with him, he's already cool with you.

I kind of wonder if he's chosen you and now sees your sister as a threat...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Start having her be the only one to give him his favorite treats. You appear to be the chosen one though and he may never gravitate towards her like he does you. I would recommend that she be the one to work with him on training and such. See signature line for help. I have a couple that I am chop liver and that’s just the way it is. I still love them and do my best but our relationship will never be like it is with others. Kari loves, loves Dr Orosz and men. If I were to try and take her back after she was with either, she would fillet me.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would recommend your sister (yourself included, if you are willing!) to work on station training her green cheek while he's in the cage. This is basically teaching him to stay put in one spot (preferably away from said dishes) while changing out the dishes. I would even recommend having a second set of dishes so she doesn't have to bother him as much.

Would also recommend target training *through* the cage bars. Your sister needs to learn how to give him rewards without getting bitten. This could mean having her green cheek reach through the bars in order to receive his treat, getting it on a spoon, or setting up treat cups within the cage (small metal dishes work great!) and dropping the treat into said cup. Once he's really good at targeting to any location within the cage, then she can work on opening the cage door and training through there and/or around the outside of the cage.

Any time she walks by the cage, she can also drop a treat into one of these dishes and then go about her usual day.