• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with a 50 year old Amazon parrot with bad arthritis

anmoody88

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashley
Hi, we just rescued an Amazon from a car lot down the street. He was living in filth & had his own poo stuck all over him. He was used for a trade in on a car. We took him to our wonderful bird doc & she said he's over 50 years old. He has very bad arthritis & had infections from living in filth. Since he's unable to perch properly I'm trying to figure out the best sleeping area to set up for him? Right now we have just been using a travel carrier with blankets in the bottom but he hates going in there & started trying to bit his way out. I want him to have the best life possible so any advice on sleep set ups & play set ups would very much be appreciated!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m not sure what to do, but am shocked someone traded a bird for a car. It is most shocking. So glad he landed with you! Some of the Amazon people can help you with species if you post pics, & the rest of us would like to see.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
It looks like you and Brutus are meant to be! He looks like a very sweet soul ❤

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he has trouble perching, a platform perch would be good.

I'll tag a couple owners for you @melissasparrots @Greylady1966

Maybe they can give suggestions.

Has he had an avian checkup yet?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor Brutus, I bet he has some stories he could tell. I’m glad you could take him in and give him the life he deserves.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a sweet looking soul :heart: . I'd definitely recommend some flat perches for him and I know a lot of folks have covered theirs with fleece to make it softer to sit on. Sarah at Seriously Nutz - Large Basswood Platform Perch - Natural Flat Perches that are cut thick, side or corner mounted. Macaw Cockatoo Large Bird has a wonderful selection of perches and she can also make things custom as well and her toys are fantastic she can help you figure out exactly what Brutus needs.
Perhaps get him something like this ATM2029 Aluminum Travel Carrier - Kings Cages I believe that @Danita has her elderly Amazon with arthritis in one so he can't climb high and hurt himself but still had a good amount of cage space. Oh yes here's a video showing him and the cage and there is even a fleece covered platform. Amazon Parrot’s Reaction to New Cage Set Up for his Arthritis - YouTube
I would check out Danita's videos she's a member here and has done amazing things for Coojo with his arthritis issues and her other rescue babies. Best of luck with your new sweetie.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thankyou so much for taking in this wonderful bird. I am sure he knows he is in a good place now. Some humans are evil and who ever traded him for a car fits that description.

You might get some ideas from this forum Special Needs Crossing

Look into getting some moleskin to wrap perches and platforms.

Last edited:

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Thankyou so much for taking in this wonderful bird. I am sure he knows he is in a good place now. Some humans are evil and who ever traded him for a car fits that description.

You might get some ideas from this forum Special Needs Crossing

Look into getting some moleskin to wrap perches and platforms.
Also, I have to give a moment of respect to the people at the car lot who were willing to take him to get him out of that situation and into a good home.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Thank you for taking him in. I rescued a YNA from a hoarding situation that our vet thought was in his 40s. He could hardly walk because of arthritis and he was missing most of his toes from being housed with larger parrots. While he was at the vets getting surgery on his feet we took his cage and cut it in half by building a platform from a heavy plastic. We laid heavy towels down and lowered his bowls. When his feet healed we put a perch in but kept it very close to the bottom so if he fell it wouldn't hurt him. Here's a pic of Charlie when his feet healed and he learned to perch again. 20200405_195224.jpg

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
My Walter has arthritis in his feet (He is 39 years old) and I have done a few things to help him out. First I took out the grate at the bottom of his cage and line the bottom with heavy paper towels which I clean at least twice a day (plus cleaning up his poop spots). I also have a platform perch (which he will use someday I have faith. Right now he just tries to chew on it as he usually takes a while to accept new things). I also wrapped his "sleep" and rest perches with vet wrap and it has helped a whole bunch. His perches are all low and he has a relativity low ceiling because he was bad about climbing on the roof and then falling. (finally convinced him he was too old for that). I have attached a picture but it doesn't have his platform perch or his new toys. He also likes his low perch that allows him to travel the entire length of his cage.
tempImagewxQjpO.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for helping him. Did the vet give you any medication for him? And as already mentioned, platform perches and some rope perches may be good for him.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Platform perch and heated perches are all great ideas but what he really needs is some medicine for arthritis. You'll have to ask your avian vet for that. Pain med/something for inflammation but he needs medical interference to at least keep him tolerably comfortable. It is an expense but absolutely worth it not to see them in pain.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an old post and the original poster hasn't logged in since October 2021. They are unlikely to see your responses.