• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help! Willis has weird poops!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andee

Walking the driveway
I am a little worried about Willis, he is about 6mnths old... my little boy budgie. Today I took him out to give him breakfast (He likes to eat lettuce and strawberries) and he did a black poop!! No white in it even... He is eating fine, drinking fine, being as bossy to his cagemate as he usually is. He has no trouble sitting on his perch either. Yesterday I did notice he was breathing through his mouth a little but I didn't think anything of it because he does this when he is startled... Any ideas anyone??? Is a vet trip needed??? Please let me knoe your thoughts :(

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
usually black poop means they're not eating.
Tarlike consistency. If you notice that your bird is defecating blackish, tar-like feces, it could mean he's stopped eating. In small birds such as lovebirds or cockatiels, the feces may turn dark and pasty within 24 hours. It may take 48 hours or longer for larger birds such as African greys and Amazons to have these dark, dense droppings.

Abnormal bird droppings

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What does he eat besides strawberries and lettuce?

Ginger

Andee

Walking the driveway
He eats seed, strawberries, lettuce and that's about it. I am trying to get him to eat other vegies but he is a little stubborn. He definitely hasn't stopped eating... so I am a bit stumped... He LOVES food!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if his poops are a weird color, then off to the vet...better safe than sorry...birds hide their illnesses very well

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

To be safe I would take your bird to an avian vet for an exam with a fecal and gram stain. The vet will be able to determine if you need medication for your bird. While waiting for an appointment, keep your bird warm 85-87 degree and well hydrated. You can add a couple of drop of ACV (Bragg brand apple cider vinegar) in his water dish, this will change the PH in his GI tract which could result in an improvement of his poops.

gary

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
definitely introduce him to more foods - Pellets , vegetables. whole wheat cooked noodles.

Lettuce (most likely he's eating iceberg) has no nutritious value at all and is mainly water

a seed diet isn't good (and a lot of birds who eat just seed or mainly seed do have black poops) even when a bird is getting veggies, and other cooked foods but the main part of their diet is seed - that isn't good

they need a variety of foods I would not give them fruits daily - They are high in sugar(they contain their own sugars)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Also make sure his dish isnt full of hulled seeds. Many birds have died because the owners thought the dish was full of seed when it was only the hulls.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
black tar like poos can also be digested blood, better to get it checked, especial if it is more than one poo

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Strawberries will make pretty dark looking poop. Best to let the vet take a look at him and make sure he is ok.

Andee

Walking the driveway
Thanks guys. He is all better now. I am trying to get him to eat more vegies, grains etc but he is very... stubborn shall we say... Will keep trying! :)

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm glad that he's feeling better. Can you at least substitute some more nutritious greens like collard, mustard, dandelion for the lettuce?

Andee

Walking the driveway
Yes! Success... turns out he has a thing for green... He will eat anything green!! So I have been giving a new green vege everyday and he loves them... not so keen on other colours but I figure some is better than none! Am getting him some pellets too :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad that he is feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.