• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!!! Wildlife Rehabbers I need you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Yesterday while driving there was a blackbird laying beside the road, but with his head up. I pulled 2 U turns across a 4 lane highway to get back to him, and by then he's lying on the pavement with his head down but still alive. He had an obvious injury to the left side of his head and his right leg was extended straight out and didn't move. Into the dog crate that is always in the car, and off to the vet- not an AV - a cow vet, but the closest place. By the time we got there he was sitting up - the tech and I examined him and he had some neurological signs but was sitting up and could now flex both legs and grasp with both feet - in other words he didn't need instant euthanasia ( which is why I headed for the Vet) So I took him home and he is in a covered cage in the shed - he has water and some canned cat food. He is standing and hopping today but isn't perching yet. I don't want to turn him loose until I know that he can survive - and of course he's not eating while caged up in a scary strange place. He has improved so much from yesterday that I think that physically he could recover - but not if he starves or stresses to death. The Shed is warm, dim, well ventillated, and safe from predators - I have his cage covered. What else can I do????? Advice please!!!!! I can check in when I go to work, but can't sign into the forum so I won't be able to answer any questions until tonight. Thanks all! :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Maureen that was a wonderful thing to do. Do you have a wildlife rehabber in your area? How about calling the Dept of Conservation? There has to be someone nearby that could take him and know what to do.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
It does sound like he's a little neurologic, but sometimes when they hit walls, windows, things like that, they do get that way. Most of the time they will come out of it. It just takes time. It sounds like he's already heading that way. You are doing everything we would do. Did the vet give him a Dex injection? That helps move things along. As for eating, he will eat in captivity. That is not an issue. He will eat when he is ready. Seeds and such. We have crows that are non-releaseable and they do just fine. For right now, it you will keep him warm and calm and offer him seeds and water, he will stand a good chance of coming out of this providing this is his only issue. Good luck! And thanks for caring about these guys. If you need anything, please let me know.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do you have a nature center? Also you can feed him meal worms.

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is it a baby blackbird perhaps? Maybe this is the reason why its not eating?

Try feeding worms, and dog or cat food kibble as well. Does this bird appear to have his "wits" about him? Is he moving around? A lot of times with adult wild birds, they will be too frightened to eat or drink in captivity. Which is also another big reason why mortality rate when capturing wild caught parrots, was high. I'd recommend releasing him if he appears OK.

But if its a baby, I'd recommend trying to feed it.

Or better, find a wildlife rescue.

Last edited:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
Thanks everyone! This is an adult bird, there are no rescue/rehabbers around, the "Conservation" Officers will destroy him( pest bird) , no nature centre ( this is the middle of no where0 , the vet "doesn't do" birds so no dexamethasone was given - but the injury is now over 24 hours old. He looks bright and alert - he is moving around and giving me dirty looks - it looks like he has been into the canned cat food, and I will go and buy some meal worms after I post this. He is still standing at the bottom of the cage though - I will feel alot better about releasing him once I see him on a perch and know that his balance and grip are okay. I'll also offer him some seeds and hard boiled egg. Wish us luck! :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Maureen you have earned your angel wings no matter the outcome..you cared enough to try and help.:hug8:

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
It sounds like he's on the right track. These kinds of injuries just takes a little time. Your doing great! Way to go! We can always use another rehabber here in Florida. Interested? LOL. Sounds like he should be ready for release in a day or two.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
He ate the few meal worms that I offered as well as the canned cat food, so I have given him some more. He is perching up on the branches in the cage ( and still giving me dirty looks) I will release him tomorrow back near where I found him if keeps improving like this :) thank you all for your help!
ps - sticking my hands into that container of live mealworms was one of the creepier feeling things I've done lately!:)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Wow Maureen I am so happy to hear he is perching and eating!

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh Maureen, thank you for helping this little tyke :)

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
UPDATE!!!:) I released him this afternoon in a field close to where I found him, he boogied off into the bushes without a backward glance - I would have been happier if he had flown off...I sure hope it wasn't too soon, but he seemed to be moving well though - so Good Luck little one and stay away from the roads!:)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
great news Maureen, thank you for all you did for him

:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.