• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help, what kind of growth/neoplasm is this?

wolfysluv

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
rebecca stout
HI guys. Its been a million years since I checked it it feels like. 2-3 months ago, the corner of Tika's mouth looked "odd". And it started to overgrow a tad. It stayed like that until this past month. Then it got worse. At first, hydrocortizone helped keep it shrunk a bit. It got extremely raw and I kept neosporin on it. But then none of that helped whatsoever. It never itches by the way. I brought her to the vet who is an avian vet, but has never seen this type of thing in this place on a bird. Her guess was a papplinoma caused by a virus (in the wart family). The rawness she said would come from the fact that its in the corner of her mouth. However, she called Univ of T vet school to double check. After talking with her, the experts there felt strongly it wasn't a papilinoma, but rather something like a squamous cell carcinoma. So we are heading up there to spend one day getting her accessed, tested, etc, and the next day to have it surgically removed and biopsied.

The depressing thing is the vets says if it is just a benign papilinoma .. the recurrence rate is really high.

And when I read up on diff cancerous lesions in birds ... all the ones it could possibly be, also have a recurrence rate. Some of them seem to have bleak prognosis's . Like the surgery, radiation, etc, just buys a little time because they tend to come back or resurface anyway. But I'm not an expert, this is just what I read online.

We have an important thing to factor in with our treatment choices, etc... Tika has SEVERE long term skin muiltation syndrome and this year is so bad, she is in a double collar 24/7. Its so sad. We are near the end of our rope with that. Exhausted everything (this will also be looked at by UT). In trying to figure out what to do, I just take it day by day. As horrible as it might seem for her, I think about Chris Reeves who couldn't even move. Yet he was happy and would really balk at the idea of euthanization ya know? I cant know what Tika feels ... unfortunately. Her demeanor is a 180 from when she was a youngster here. Shes extremely placid, laid back. Quiet. Is just cause shes older and shes content and cant move anyway? Or is she sad? I'll never know. But its something I'm going to consider if we come to a cross roads in as far as what to do with the growth/cancer.

I wanna put up a couple of pics. Just in case anyones seen something like this or dealt with it. And if not, I guess it'll be on record here for someone else in case they come across it. I'll go get them.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hug8:

I had a sarcoma removed from my 60+ year old GW macaw, It was on her hip. At the time we removed it it was thought it was an ingrown feather and we had no idea it was a mass until it popped out. I did much reading while waiting for the biopsy results and read that most often these forms of cancer are in the mouth area. The recurrence rate is high but you have better chances if you get good margins around the area. We, not knowing what it was, did not get good margins. It has not returned and we had it removed right before Christmas, we stay positive and will take things one day at a time.

Rosie is over 60, blind, has heart disease, requires oxygen daily, has a bad ankle and is fighting cancer. She is not ready to go. I know the day will come when I will see her tell me to let her go... Today is not that day.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
I've only read about it and what I read agrees with what Sarah said. I've never had a bird with it so I can't offer any personal insight into it - but I know I would be scared out of my mind just considering the possibility so my heart goes to you.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer

I had a sarcoma removed from my 60+ year old GW macaw, It was on her hip. At the time we removed it it was thought it was an ingrown feather and we had no idea it was a mass until it popped out. I did much reading while waiting for the biopsy results and read that most often these forms of cancer are in the mouth area. The recurrence rate is high but you have better chances if you get good margins around the area. We, not knowing what it was, did not get good margins. It has not returned and we had it removed right before Christmas, we stay positive and will take things one day at a time.

Rosie is over 60, blind, has heart disease, requires oxygen daily, has a bad ankle and is fighting cancer. She is not ready to go. I know the day will come when I will see her tell me to let her go... Today is not that day.

Sara the more I read about Rosie, the more I adore her. She truly is a special soul! :heart:

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
Did the vet remove a piece to send it in to get a biopsy? I would suggest that as a next step. Then you will know for sure What is exactly is and the prognosis. I do not like the black-ish color of it. That would be my next step.

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
Since your baby has to go under anesthesia for a biopsy, I would also suggest getting it all removed as possible. Since it is in the spot it is in, it will be hard to remove 100% of it.
:(

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
No advice just :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

wolfysluv

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
rebecca stout
Yes the plan all along was to remove and biopsy. We got an appointment in to Univ of TN vet school for the 1st. We can't afford to go sooner. The growth really bloomed over the weekend. Then it finally stopped. So... hopefullly it wont get worse or much worse until we get her in. When we know answers Ill come back and update you all. There is like no information or pictures of anything like this that I can find online in birds. So maybe the photos and the results might help someone else some day.
Thank you for helping everyone.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh Rebecca! I have no advice for you except to say that I'm sorry this is happening and my thoughts are with you and Tika. I think Sarah summed it up best when she said try to listen to Tika. I've met Rosie and I agree with Sarah, Rosie will tell her when it's time. I think all our pet companions are like this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle