• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help - what crate to use for intentional shipping for our cockatiel?

timoki

Moving in
Hi guys,
so I've more information and thought I share with everybody here (and future reference):

1) Even some cats & dogs might be allowed in cabin, in general airlines don't allow birds in cabin - no reason given, it's just apparently their policy

2) I can use a modified dog crate, as long as it fulfills the IATA regulations for birds, such as the openings should be not bigger than 19x19mm (3/4in x 3/in)

3) Both Cathay Pacific and Luthansa allow cargo shipment of birds (as not all airlines do)

timoki

Moving in
I saw these at the pet shop today. It's designed to go through vertical bars. I'm not sure how the first one is mounted though.

The only issue is that it's a very narrow bowl, I honestly have no idea how your tiel would take to it?

View attachment 347906 View attachment 347907
I use one of those for his water currently. I saw that some dog crate can put an addition gate divider inside. I only have to find one which which is long enough to be mounted from the outside of the divider going into the cage, so that even an airport staff could safely change water and food, without any risk that 'Morty' would be flying away.
At least that seems like a potential solution.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Do keep us updated. This is all very useful information :)

Reactions: Ali