• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help, what’s wrong with my female canary ?

CookieLyla

Checking out the neighborhood
Please Help!!!

I recently ( about a month)got my female canary(about 1.5 years old) from a very good and reputable breeder (same breeder guy is where I got my male canary which is 3.5 years old & in excellent health) since I brought female home I noticed she was all the time puffy, active, chirpin, eating a lot (she looked when I got her a little malnutritioned,at the time she finished molting, was in a Temporary cage with two other canary’s ). But at night she Makes this wheezing noise and laboured breathing as shown at the end of the video, please help me out my dear bird care’rs , they are my sons pets and he will be devastated if something happens.
I tried to post video but system is not allowing.

Thank you.

Truly,

Cookie & Leyla

CookieLyla

iCloud

Hello everyone.
This is from last night.
Leyla is active during day time, eating, drinking, flying, the problem is during day she is puffy if she is on a perch unless I take her to the bathroom and turn steam on She is normal no puffiness and at night , the video says a thousands words.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's important to have a quarantine for new birds. @finchly has a protocol for treating for parasites and that may be what you have to do for the whole flock at this point. Air sac mites are very common, and would be the first guess at wheezing in a new bird. Stress can make enough wiggle room for all sorts of things to take hold.

A regular regimen of asm treatment (air sac mites) and regular deworming is important especially in a multi bird situation. It's also quite stressful in general to house a new canary with other birds. A large flight (very large) with plenty of hiding spots and "blinds" is important.

It could really be myriad issues. Start with stress reduction and scatt for the whole flock, and then a deworming protocol.

I also offered daily steam for my guy during his quarantine. I stayed in the bathroom to be sure it didn't get too warm, and just turned off the shower when it got nice and humid and read for about 20 minutes in the higher humidity.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

CookieLyla

It's important to have a quarantine for new birds. @finchly has a protocol for treating for parasites and that may be what you have to do for the whole flock at this point. Air sac mites are very common, and would be the first guess at wheezing in a new bird. Stress can make enough wiggle room for all sorts of things to take hold.

A regular regimen of asm treatment (air sac mites) and regular deworming is important especially in a multi bird situation. It's also quite stressful in general to house a new canary with other birds. A large flight (very large) with plenty of hiding spots and "blinds" is important.

It could really be myriad issues. Start with stress reduction and scatt for the whole flock, and then a deworming protocol.

I also offered daily steam for my guy during his quarantine. I stayed in the bathroom to be sure it didn't get too warm, and just turned off the shower when it got nice and humid and read for about 20 minutes in the higher humidity.

Hello Monaco,

Thank you very much for your reply and for sharing your opinions.

Eventually I took Leyla ( female canary) to the Vet, we could not watch her anymore especially at night with irregular breathing so once the vet examined her he noticed a lump around her liver area and kept asking me about the birds age and I kept telling him what the store ( the man that breeds these birds is known as a good man and has his own bird store and runs it with his wife and has been in the business for over 30 years) anyhow, the bird store owner John is his name, told me that the female is not more than 1.5 years old, when he sold her to me about a month ago. Vet on the other hand was in disbelief because he read on the birds ankle bracelet that the bird is 3.5 years old, I looked dumb by arguing with the vet believing to be impossible. To make matters more unbelievable the Vet knows both husband and wife that own the bird store and was also shocked as to why would they sell me a bird that is basically disabled and lying to me about the age on top. Bottom line and Overall the vet couldn’t help poor Leyla so we are going to give her the best life / care we can.

Thank you and take care.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Sold to you as 1.5 years, but actually 3.5 years? Wow.

donutfinch

Moving in
Real Name
j
Please Help!!!

I recently ( about a month)got my female canary(about 1.5 years old) from a very good and reputable breeder (same breeder guy is where I got my male canary which is 3.5 years old & in excellent health) since I brought female home I noticed she was all the time puffy, active, chirpin, eating a lot (she looked when I got her a little malnutritioned,at the time she finished molting, was in a Temporary cage with two other canary’s ). But at night she Makes this wheezing noise and laboured breathing as shown at the end of the video, please help me out my dear bird care’rs , they are my sons pets and he will be devastated if something happens.
I tried to post video but system is not allowing.

Thank you.

Truly,

Cookie & Leyla
I found this? Respiratory illness in canaries is very common, and can be caused by bacterial, mycoplasma, viral, fungal, parasitic air sac mites, obesity malnutrition, fumes, and more, and combinations of all.