• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!! Watery poop

Klspires

Moving in
i have an 11 month old GC conure named Bruno that recently went through a traumatic even on Dec 24, 2016 (my dad was visiting and accidentally partially closed a Sliding glass door on him under my husbands faulty supervision-- I'm still very upset) anyway, took him to his avian vet and she said no broken bones or internal bleeding and Bruno was back to his old self about 2 days after. The only thing that's bothering me right now is that ever since then, he's been drinking tons and tons of water and pooping/squirting out mostly just liquid.. I'm about to take him to the emergency pet hospital (b/c his regular vet is off today). I just want to know if anyone has been through something like this before.. this has been really hard for me because I love him so much and I'm terrified of losing him. I've been reading all of this stuff about kidney diesease and whatnot.. it's really stressing me out. Any help would be appreciated.
*his diet mainly consists of LaFebers nutri-berries with treats such as fresh pear, papaya and walnuts.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Personally, I'd cut a big chunk of liquid-y or fresh fruits/veggies out of his diet to see if he's just eating too much of the runny food. I really hope he's okay, and a trip to the emergency pet hospital wouldn't hurt.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Klspires

Moving in
@Reggie thanks for the quick reply:) I already took out the pear and papaya from his diet on dec 25th just in case that's what was causing it He's eating the LeFeber pellet berries like crazy right now though.. a lot of food is going in his tummy but not leaving out the backside.. I wonder if there's some kind of blockage??:depressed:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your conure will be OK. When was the last time he pooped? When he was pooping was it all urine? Are there any feces at all?

Klspires

Moving in
IMG_0755.JPG @iamwhoiam last time he pooped was about 10 minutes ago and his last 2 poops before this one were 100% urine (no feces present at all). The one that just came out had a teeny tiny bit of feces in it. I added a pic of what it looked like--

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If there's no real poos overnight, I'd have him rechecked, even by another vet, hopefully it's just stress from his incident. You know your bird, trust your gut.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The droppings are polyuric. Sometimes that can occur due to stress. It can also be idiopathic due to drinking a lot of water when everything else is normal as per diagnostic testing. Then it can be due to kidney issues or food. I have two birds with polyuria but there are urates and feces and testing has shown nothing abnormal. Based on what you are seeing and if you feel that something is off then do take him to the vet. Put the cage paper with samples of the droppings in a ziploc bag and take it with you to the vet.

Seems that I wrote this after you have arrived at the vet. Do keep us updated. I hope everything will be OK.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Best of luck with him. I hope it's nothing serious. I'm glad you were able to take him to the vet too :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm glad you are going in! Keep us posted!

Klspires

Moving in
Good morning everyone! Thank you all so much for your warm wishes and advice:hug8:
Bruno is doing a lot better- the vet did a Gram stain with a fresh poop sample and it tested positive for a yeast infection. The doc said that the stress caused by the traumatic event most likely made his immune system drop and made him a lot more susceptible to infection(s)
He's now on a 10 day anti-fungal medication and his droppings are getting less watery already:joyful:
If it doesn't return to normal in 3 days or so, then I have to bring him back.. but for now things are looking up:heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you got a diagnosis and medication. Great that Bruno is on the mend. Hope he is 100% soon.

Klspires

Moving in
Thanks again everyone- Bruno's droppings are still pretty loose, but again, I need to be patient and wait a few days (which is hard for someone like me- I worry way too much):confused:
@Hankmacaw thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely ask his vet about it- it seems like it would be great for his stress!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad he's on meds & hopefully that clears the problem
Gosh I would have been worried too. Glad there was no permanent injury.