• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HELP! Vomiting baby budgie

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Hello,

I checked on my baby budgies as per usual and realised that there was a bit of vomit on the nests walls. I am not sure who it was but I think it was my second born (4 weeks old). I weighed him/her and despite his/hers age it is only 35 grams while the baby that is a week younger than him/her is 43.5 grams and is obviously stunted. The baby that I suspect to be throwing up is also splayed despite taking to the vet and tying the legs together. In addition to this she/he is very scared of me but this time she/he tried to come a little closer and was asking for food from me. Please help I am really scared at the moment and can't take to the vet as they are closed now and tomorrow.

Thanks,
Arin

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Who is feeding these chicks? If it is the hen, remove the chick and place in a brooder and you take over the feedings.

This could be overfeeding or an illness/infection. So you take over their care until you can get to the vet.

If you are the one caring for the chicks, check your temperatures etc and calibrate your scales and the thermometre if it is digital.

As a side note, at 4 weeks old, you could still try to fix the legs yourself, you may still have time, but impossible to know. Splayed legs 101 - What is it? How to fix it?

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Who is feeding these chicks? If it is the hen, remove the chick and place in a brooder and you take over the feedings.

This could be overfeeding or an illness/infection. So you take over their care until you can get to the vet.

If you are the one caring for the chicks, check your temperatures etc and calibrate your scales and the thermometre if it is digital.

As a side note, at 4 weeks old, you could still try to fix the legs yourself, you may still have time, but impossible to know. Splayed legs 101 - What is it? How to fix it?
Thank you so much for your answer. Yes, the hen is feeding the chick. I will try and look online for some diy brooders also I will order some hand feeding formula but I can't find any that I can get right now and it delivers in a few days so it would be very helpful if you can recommend me some diy formula. I also saw someone was advised too make some formula with egg and biscuits? I will get you some pictures later aswell.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you go to a pet shop?
You will need formula and a critter carrier and some wood shavings (aspen is best, course pine will do).

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Can you go to a pet shop?
You will need formula and a critter carrier and some wood shavings (aspen is best, course pine will do).

I already checked my pet shops and in the UK sadly I haven't seen any. I already have wood shavings. Also, would a hot water bottle do for a heat pad?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
lso, would a hot water bottle do for a heat pad?
Yea that will do in a pinch. Put it at one end of the conatiner so the chick can choose where to be and move if it gets too warm.
A container like this;
fghdgf.jpg
If you don´t have one, a plastic container with a lid will do as long as it´s ventilated. Can probably find something down at Asda in the home section.

Fill it with a few inches of the wood shavings and press down.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
I already checked my pet shops and in the UK sadly I haven't seen any. I already have wood shavings. Also, would a hot water bottle do for a heat pad?
I checked on the attached link about a brooder but I don't have a fish tank.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Yea that will do in a pinch. Put it at one end of the conatiner so the chick can choose where to be and move if it gets too warm.
A container like this;
View attachment 346378
If you don´t have one, a plastic container with a lid will do as long as it´s ventilated. Can probably find something down at Asda in the home section.

Fill it with a few inches of the wood shavings and press down.
I don't have one of those but could you show what you mean of a plastic container, sorry for being so annoying. Also could a box do for now?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Better to go and have a look because they haven´t put size online. As long as it is big enough for them to open their wings lengthways (at least 30 cm) it will be ok. They had a couple of different sizes listed.
You will still need the formula, have another look for pet shops. Being sunday tomorrow you can´t order it online or it won´t arrive before monday.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Better to go and have a look because they haven´t put size online. As long as it is big enough for them to open their wings lengthways (at least 30 cm) it will be ok. They had a couple of different sizes listed.
You will still need the formula, have another look for pet shops. Being sunday tomorrow you can´t order it online or it won´t arrive before monday.
I found a plastic container and I will set it up now. The formula isn't coming from a pet shop but in fact overseas.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Update 1: I made the brooder but I was not contempt with the formula I made (egg and plain biscuits with some hot water). He/She ate it and filled up its crop with it but I later put him/her back in the nest with siblings. I decided to keep him/her in that nest but keep an eye on him/her if he/she doesn't get fed. If he/she doesn't get fed I will make some more homemade formula and feed him/her but put him/her back in the nest. Please tell me if this is a good idea or not.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As long as the parent/s accept the baby back and continue to feed it will be OK. You are co-parenting right now but if there continue to be issues with the baby then you will have to pull it and keep it in the brooder. I co-parented one of my red-bellied pair's clutches. It did start to get confusing when it came to feedings so I wound up pulling them at 6 weeks of age and taking over.
As for egg and plain biscuits, not the best thing. Get some hand feeding formula and follow the directions when it comes to temperature and consistency.
Hope all will be well with the little one.
Tagging someone who might have advice regarding formula as well as other info when it comes to baby budgies @Budgiebonkers

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
As long as the parent/s accept the baby back and continue to feed it will be OK. You are co-parenting right now but if there continue to be issues with the baby then you will have to pull it and keep it in the brooder. I co-parented one of my red-bellied pair's clutches. It did start to get confusing when it came to feedings so I wound up pulling them at 6 weeks of age and taking over.
As for egg and plain biscuits, not the best thing. Get some hand feeding formula and follow the directions when it comes to temperature and consistency.
Hope all will be well with the little one.
Tagging someone who might have advice regarding formula as well as other info when it comes to baby budgies @Budgiebonkers
Alright and thanks. I keep using him/her so I will just call the baby a him because it’s really hard . I will keep an eye on him and check up on them every 10-15 minutes. The mother did accept him back but I am not sure if she is still feeding him. In regards to the hand feeding formula I should buy I checked pet stores but nothing and eBay sells it aswell but it will take at least a week to get to the the U.K. Again thanks for tagging that man/woman regarding formula.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Alright and thanks. I keep using him/her so I will just call the baby a him because it’s really hard . I will keep an eye on him and check up on them every 10-15 minutes. The mother did accept him back but I am not sure if she is still feeding him. In regards to the hand feeding formula I should buy I checked pet stores but nothing and eBay sells it aswell but it will take at least a week to get to the the U.K. Again thanks for tagging that man/woman regarding formula.
if you dont have formula right now you can use jiffy muffin mix until you get some brands to avoid would be kaytee as many peoples have issues with stuntedness using that brand and if one is throwing up that could be a crop infection so i would give the parents some avc in their water also give parents boiled egg, shell and all as they grow with protein and eggs have allot of protein

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
if you dont have formula right now you can use jiffy muffin mix until you get some brands to avoid would be kaytee as many peoples have issues with stuntedness using that brand and if one is throwing up that could be a crop infection so i would give the parents some avc in their water also give parents boiled egg, shell and all as they grow with protein and eggs have allot of protein
The mother is now feeding them completely and now I think about it I don’t think it was the baby that threw up. It may have been when feeding it accidentally splattered or the father (who is quite unwell now but I have an appointment for him today) actually vomited not the babies. I am not sure though. I give them eggs already with shell. Thanks for the advice