• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!!! Very, very angry Conure!

Mason and Kiwi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So I’ve had Kiwi for over a year now. She’s been a very good bird, very sweet and cuddly. But lately if she doesn’t want off my shoulder or hand, she will bite very hard. Today was unexpected as she bit my ear and I jerked and tried to get her off with my hand and it didn’t work. So I grabbed a nearby empty bag to try and push her off and she got angry and began flying towards me, to which I blocked myself with the bag and I had to leave the room. Every time I came in she would fly and attack me to the point I would bleed. I even tried getting on my bed and calming her down but she only attacked my face and at that point I just used a t-shirt to grab her and then put her in the cage. I know if I let her out she will be super pissed with me. I gave her fresh food, water, an apple slice, an almond, and sunflower seeds to try and calm her down. She is calm in her cage but she is still obviously very angry with me. I don’t know what to do. This has happened only once before when I blocked with a bag and she bit me and I let it happen, then she calmed down and let me scratch her. But this time she will not let me scratch her and she continued to bite and attack me relentlessly. Every time I sat up on my bed she would fly up to my arm and start biting it and climb my arm to charge at my face. Every time I had to use a blanket to protect myself and hold her gently, which I know she hates, but there was no other way to protect myself. Please help. Tell me how I can make her less angry. Do I just wait it out?

Note: I realize if she bites my ear or hand I shouldn’t pull away and I should remain calm and keep my hand there and firmly tell her to step up, and many many previous times I have done so. This time I just so happened to be caught off guard and she bit me very hard and my reaction was quick and wrong. I just need to know how to calm her down because I will never ever let this happen again. She was also fine this morning when I let her out of her cage, happy and cuddly.

Edit: I later took her out and she was calm with my girlfriend. But every time she was on the floor and I put my hand down on the ground, not even close to her, she would charge and try to bite me. Or she would just stay on my girlfriend’s shoulder and avoid getting anywhere near me.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
If she is biting your ears and won't come off your shoulder, she shouldn't be anywhere near your head or on your shoulder. Dont get discouraged its hard not to take it personally. Also don't let her on anyone shoulder. Start with some target/clicker training. Lots of videos on youtube. I prefer the ones by BirdTricks.com personally.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I will say target training has made a huge difference in my relationships with our birds. It’s like distracting an upset toddler with a more constructive outlet for their energy. I feel for you. Mine have been there...and will probably be there, again at some point. I try to have a target stick handy and a noisy container of their favorite treats nearby for them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A small T shaped stick is what is suggested for an aggressive bird. It works well and they can not reach you to bite. A T stick or ladder that is long can be used for a small bird also. Here is a good read: