• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP URGENT RAINBOW LORIKEET

prince_lor

Moving in
HELP ! URGENT
So recently my kitchen unfortunately burnt down leaving me in an apartment whilst it’s fixed, i one a rainbow lorikeet whom lives in a reasonably small cage, i was wondering, what do i do? I’m unable to let him out as i’m stuck in this apartment and at school, this apartment is pet-free and i’m only able to feed him, i’m scared he will forget our bond and no longer love me and worst case scenario, begin to pluck his feathers i’m also scared he will hurt himself and i won’t be there for him. Please help i only want the best for my baby ! :( Thanks !

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
How long is it likely to be before you can do back?

prince_lor

Moving in
I’d also like to mention his diet, what should a rainbow lorikeet eat as a lot of rainbow lorikeet information isn’t correct, he’s fed trill brand pet rainbow lorikeet food,nectar pellets and nectar i’m so sorry if this is all wrong he’s my first bird and i was unprepared when i got him, it was all going well until now and i’m very worried i appreciate the help though, thank you all !

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is your bird with you in the no pet apartment or at the house with the burned kitchen? I am a bit confused

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Trill is not the best brand of any sort of bird food available so you may wish to consider possibly switching him over to something else in the future if you can. I am guessing you may be in Aus if you are using Trill? If so there are other brands of food available at online stores which are of better quality.
How small is the cage he is in?

prince_lor

Moving in
Could you elaborate a little? I also live in a (small) apartment..
Ah yes i’m so sorry i didn’t go into detail about this, he is still at the home although the room he is in is completely safe and clear of any of the damage as it’s on the other side of the house, i’m still at the apartment and i’m only able to visit him in the morning to feed him i’m so sorry for being unclear or not making sense.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Could you elaborate a little? I also live in a (small) apartment..
@Zara I think the OP is in the apartment but the bird is not, so is not allowed out of the cage.

@Cole
I can't think of lorikeet people right now

prince_lor

Moving in
Trill is not the best brand of any sort of bird food available so you may wish to consider possibly switching him over to something else in the future if you can. I am guessing you may be in Aus if you are using Trill? If so there are other brands of food available at online stores which are of better quality.
How small is the cage he is in?
Yea i am in aus and i have been looking for different brands thankfully and the cage as i don’t have exact measurements is around 15” wide and 80” tall

prince_lor

Moving in
Unfortunately it’s 10:15pm where i am currently i will be going to sleep now and will reply to any and all messages in the morning i feel like such a horrible bird parent i hope you all understand, thank you !!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there any way you can take him to the apartment?

What if you move back into your house with your bird? (I understand you have no kitchen, but you could maybe eat at the other place?)

What if you meal prep and cook food for the week at your apartment, then live in your house all week with the food you cooked, and salads, cold fish etc You would need a fridge plugged in at the house, maybe in the living room or something? Or just live off of salads, raw veggies, sandwiches and other cold items?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Don't feel bad. It isn't your fault you're in this situation.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Or could you negotiate with the owner of the apartment to let you bring your bird. It isn't as though it is a long time for the owner to put up with it

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I remember when I was 14 and my parents moved house and ripped out the kitchen and started knocking walls down. We lived off of barbacue for the summer while they fitted a brand new kitchen. Potatoes, corn, meats, salads, bbq bananas etc

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can I ask what state you live in?
I might still have a list I made a while back of different places that sell cages, I will have a look later as I am going to get ready to close up for the night.
I might hopefully be able to give you some ideas on where to get cages and food and toys that are better than the supermarket and big chain stores offer.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That is a brave thing to do in the UK!
I know. And I´m Northern!
The weather was kind to us that year... ´05 I believe. Some days we had sandwiches or went out for a meal if the weather wasn´t too good.

prince_lor

Moving in
Can I ask what state you live in?
I might still have a list I made a while back of different places that sell cages, I will have a look later as I am going to get ready to close up for the night.
I might hopefully be able to give you some ideas on where to get cages and food and toys that are better than the supermarket and big chain stores offer.
I live in NSW, again thank you for all the help