• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!!! Throwing food and water bowls constantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
So my husband and I dared to go on a trip last week, and ever since both my macaws are taking their bowls and throwing them, all the time. Right when I put them in. I am home now and spending time with them and they have tons of toys, foraging, shredding, and wood, but the second I take out one macaw, the other macaw throws his food and water bowls. (they hate each other so I can only take one at a time) I am worried they are not getting enough food and water because they do it when I leave too.

I have tried these kind of plastic locking bowls, coop cups, snapy fit, and a different kind of SS metal bowl pictured below, that while they cannot throw it, they can tip the whole thing over so the contents pour out! I thought it would be the cockatoo giving me trouble, but not it is the macaws! I know some one made awesome SS metal holders for ceramic bowls, but those are only for playstands I think. Please, any suggestions?

114428_1651_normal.jpg
WaterBowl.JPG

42-SnapyFit300.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Isn't it simply mah-velous to own smart birds? :dance4: I have one Quaker, Daisy, who will dump out any bowl that is not secured to a cage side. Simple flip and over the edge/out of the cage before she even knows what's in it. I've had to resort to glueing one bowl to the smaller playstand to prevent that. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just keep food low in the food dishes and if possible remove food and water bowls before taking a fiddo out :)

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
This is what I had to do, I had the same problem with my grey. Then the dog would eat all the food on the floor and it was making her sick. So I have fixed the problem with this. In the picture it's on with zip ties, but I have mounted it with screws now and had to add some metal strips so it would fit. I also had to cut the cross bar out of the feeder door, that holds a bowl in place.

Covered bowl 9-1-11 001.jpg

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
There is only place to get macaw proof bowls and holders. Don Harris. Period.
Believe me, I have tried every available system, cup, bowl, holder, everything there is.
Don makes fantastic SS bowl holders; they are impossible for any macaw to destroy, or to lift & toos the bowl out of.

He makes several version - one for mounting inside the cage...another with a single bolt, for mouting into the wood of a play stand...and the latest, by my request - Don has made this:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/marketplace/63772-another-amazing-ss-bowl-design-don-h.html

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Don makes the type for using in a cage. I have bought them and used them for a GW, for a few years.
As with his other 2 styles, the cage ones are 100% macaw proof. A bird is physically incapable of lifting the Fenix crock from the SS holder.
I know of nothing like it anywhere on the market. Dons' prices are good, the SS will last a lifetime.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Thank you so much, does anyone have Don's email address?

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Here ya go, I got them too and they do work.
I also sent him some SS bowls to make holders but haven't got those back yet.

DonsBirdsnSupply@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.