• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! temporarily keeping tame free budgies inside a cage

Omme Dolme

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello guys. I have a pair of tame budgies. The male is really tame and spends nearly all day outside the cage hanging out with me. In two days, I have to go on a short trip for an exam for six days and since my family can't really handle them (putting them in cage at night, looking after them, etc), I have to keep them in a cage at home with my parents for the duration of my trip. I am really terrified that they might get depressed or sick or die... Please help me.. Will they be alright in a cage for a week? What should I do? I can't stop crying thinking about them being harmed.

Omme Dolme

A week in the cage isn't going to hurt them. They may hesitate coming out of the cage when you get back home but they'll get over it.
Thank you for replying. They currently hate being kept in a cage for long and start screaming. They sleep in the cage at night or when i go out for a couple of hours.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Calm down... it's going to be okay :) i would explain to your parents what you do with your birdies daily and why you do it. I would encourage alot of foraging and maybe even some new toys to occupy your birds. If it helps you, maybe you could write some instructions on birdie care?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thank you for replying. They currently hate being kept in a cage for long and start screaming. They sleep in the cage at night or when i go out for a couple of hours.
Sounds like mine. Occasionally I have to go into the office for a full week. When I do It gets too late to let them out when I get home. Yes they flock call like crazy the first couple of days but it's not all day. They have plenty to do including lots of foraging games which keep them busy all day.
When I go back to working from home they are a little shy about coming out on the first day, and normal service is resumed on the second day.

Omme Dolme

Calm down... it's going to be okay :) i would explain to your parents what you do with your birdies daily and why you do it. I would encourage alot of foraging and maybe even some new toys to occupy your birds. If it helps you, maybe you could write some instructions on birdie care?
Yes, I have explained and also written a guide for my mum. Hope everything goes well. Thank you. :heart:

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Looks like you've thought ahead. Written instructions are very helpful. Have you decided on the placement of their cage in your parents home? [or is that yours too?]. Just thinking: drafts, extra sunlight, noise prevention.
Have a safe trip--- maybe call home and talk to your birdies...

Omme Dolme

Looks like you've thought ahead. Written instructions are very helpful. Have you decided on the placement of their cage in your parents home? [or is that yours too?]. Just thinking: drafts, extra sunlight, noise prevention.
Have a safe trip--- maybe call home and talk to your birdies...
I live with my parents so they'll be in their usual spot. ^--^
Thank You.