• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help taming my baby lovebird??

Lovebird lover

Moving in
I have just recently purchased a male lovebird from a bird store two days ago. The vendor said he was still a baby so it would be easy to train. He said in order to train it I have to grab it from its cage and take it outside and get it used to my hands?
I am skeptical about this because the lovebird was screeching and looked frightened and I have read online about how forcefully grabbing lovebirds from their cages is a big no. I also read online that I should just sit by my bird in his cage for a couple of days and do things with him such as reading to him, sitting next to him to eat, and sleeping in the same room as him. I did eat next to him today and he seemed to enjoy it as he hopped down from his perch and started eating too
I am looking for advice on how to tame him. I really want to have a bond with him and have him do simple things such as step up on my finger and have him with me outside of the cage. He is not scared of my presence in the room or if I approach the cage. He does quickly look at me and moves slightly but does not screech or move or flap around. Even changing his food or his toys isn't a problem he simply sits there and stares. The only problem is reaching my hand in the cage and going towards him, that is when he starts climbing all over and chirping loudly and flaps to get away. I did take the vendor's advice on grabbing him and putting the bird in a bathtub (his wings are clipped) and it wasnt so good at first but after a while he would step onto my hand to try to get out and he wouldn't be as afraid. He even perched on my finger to put him back in his cage. He was more open then, but getting him out and getting him used to me was a problem. I even let him roam the house sometimes and yes I have to catch him to put him back but he runs around and doesn't flap.

Should I continue to do as the vendor said? (It did go well after a while and he even perched on me so he could get a bath under the sink) Or should I do as most people say and take it extremely slow and not touch him? He is a 1-3 month old male lovebird. Thanks

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Please don't make birds do things against their will that is not going to build trust with anything, you just enforce the predator and prey roles. The bond will come in time once you prove you are trust worthy.

Keep up with the sitting next to him and reading, as well as a conversation is a good idea as well. He's got to have a reason to see you as a friend not a threat. In a week or two try offering some millet and see if he'll come to you. You could also start some target training then to and even clicker training if you do wish.

What's your lovie's name?

Lovebird lover

Moving in
Thank you! That is what I am doing now since I've read some articles online :) today was really the first day I tried and he seemed to be doing great he ate next to me and now he's sleeping in his cage next to me as well. I actually do not have a name for him yet since I just got him two days ago. I've been bouncing back and forth between Kiwi and Arley but I wouldn't mind a suggestion! ;)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I like both of those names.

What does he look like?

Lovebird lover

Moving in
He's a green peached face with blue and red/yellow tail. I will upload pictures in the morning since it's 1 in the morning and I don't want to in disturb him lol :)

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
That's a good point, birdies need sleep.

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Ooooh yeah no grabbing! He's probably been grabbed in the shop so because of that he's pretty scared of hands. I have a little baby lovebird too; I've had him for just over a month and he's still pretty scared of hands. It takes a while to get over it. The best thing to do is exactly what you're doing - let him get used to your presence by sitting near him and talking to him! What got Indie used to me was letting them "fall with style" to the floor, and then you have to get them to step up on to your finger from the floor. They have no other recourse to getting back to the cage then you picking them up and getting them there, which builds trust between you two. I'm decidedly an impatient person, and getting Indie to trust me has totally been a patience exercise for me! You can also find a treat that your birdie might like and use it as a reward - millet or treat seed, you can try Nutriberries too although they might be a little too big!

Good luck! As for a name - I like Arley, I love "ee" or "ii" sounds at the end of a name! I also love human names for animals, like Henry or Charlie. But names are very, very personal. Indie is short for Indiana Jones... I've gotta get him a little hat.