• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Tame, but untrained!

IanJ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ian
Hi!

I’ve a new Conure that has just arrived home - he’s doing very well and settling in.

I’m keen to allow him out and about asap, only i’m worried i won’t get him back in again!

He’s very tame, pretty chilled in his new cage. Eating away, dozing, chirping, exploring his new toys.

He’s happy to eat from my hand and he like me to tickle his head.

Only thing is, he has no clue how to or seems to have no interest in stepping up on to either my finger or a stick and either just looks at me blankly or has a chew on my finger (to varying degrees of pressure!)

Any ideas on giving him some clues about what I want him to do, so that I can offer the positive reinforcement when he does well?

thanks for and advice!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Have you got pictures of your new baby so glad he’s home

stepping up training I hold my index finger like a perch then have millet in between my thumb and middle finger (hope this makes sense) with your middle finger and thumb push the millet (or whatever treat ) away from your index finger so the treats behind your index finger so they have to step up onto your index finger to reach the treat then say step up allow them to eat treat on your finger if they step up put down on a perch and start again
IMG_6153.jpeg
so your hands like this I don’t push my finger into bird I let them hop onto my index finger you can always hold your hand further away once they get hang of it in cage and say their name come or whatever you want to say once they have hang of stepping up in cage this will help with recall you could also tap your index finger with other hand so they know you want them to come
They may test your finger first with beak to make sure it’s stable try not to flinch

hope this helps and I explained it well enough

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
If using a stick hold millet or treat behind stick so they have to step on stick to get treat say step up gizmo

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Get him out , sorbds time just climbing on you and bonding and hanging out. Most of the time step up can just evolve natural. That's how it's mostly been fir me. As they climb in my I just hevd my hand on my chest when they dtro on I might lift up s few inches to sweet talk then back to my chest .