• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 help, swollen belly- Sad Update Post #31

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Unless you are handfeeding him, please leave him alone with his parents. If you keep inspecting the baby the baby will be harmed.

You do not need to handle or touch or weigh the baby until you pull to handfeed.

Inspections of baby should happen once per day for a very brief look :)

Hennafairy

Meeting neighbors
So you are saying when I hear the baby screaming, not begging for food, and a bunch of noise, then see the father pulling his down out I should just leave it?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He shouldn't be screaming at that age even when hurt and wounded. So perhaps you're mistaking the loud begging for screaming? Their begging can be very persistent and loud. It can be soft at first but as food is going in it can get loud.

And if momma is also in the box sometime parent bicker over who feeds baby first.

Baby cockatiels lose their down pretty quickly.

But if you peeked in and saw daddy yank a down off it it may be a sign that you're disturbing them too much.

@Greycloud @melissasparrots

Hennafairy

Meeting neighbors
As I have said he was pulling the down and pecking his head before I ever touched the baby, it was part of the reason I touched him in the first place. I have seen him scream when he pulls down off.
I hope the noise is just the parents bickering but now that I know that his stomach is normal thanks for yalls help.

Hennafairy

Meeting neighbors
I want to thank you for your help and especially the people who didn't make me feel like a terrible and stupid person for being freaked out and trying to help and make sure I was doing the right thing for the first new born baby bird I have ever seen. Breeding is not something I wanted to do, we were told the second cockatiel we purchased was a girl, his name is Emma even. I don't see how I can separate them because I believe with all of my heart they are in love. I will just make sure to keep their cage and food in non breeding mode from now on. After she started laying eggs that crashed to the floor I gave them a nest box but I plan to take it away after I pull the hatchling in a few weeks. I am not sure I will ask questions here anymore unless it is imperative because it has been a mixed experience, maybe I will just try talking about my beauties instead of asking for advice.

This is my sweet Emma, daddy bird!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
This forum can provide so much information. You shouldn't hold back any questions. But, if ever in serious doubt... remember the members go off their own experiences and knowledge. It is always beneficial to have avian vet support as well.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My advice to. You is to pull the baby. The father is really taking nature into his own hands. Either he is stressing and inexperienced or this baby has a defect the parent is aware of.
The abdomen should not be hard in any way. If you cannot vet the baby then you should probaby make a very soupy formula and add a few dropd of natural apple cider vinegar to help with possible infection. Baby must be kept warm in a brooder and fed around the clock.
Your only other option is to remove the male so he stops injuries to the chick. Letting nature take it's course.
No questions are dumb hon. You are caring and trying to help this wee one.

Hennafairy

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much. I am trying to decide weather to pull the male. We have an awesome avian vet here, he was closed today. I took him up to a family owned pet store that hand raises cockatiels and he said he looked totally normal. This is the fathers first chick and he is normally a very sweet and loving bird, I think it is the inexperience and me having gone into the nest a number of times. The pet guy said it is seed in his belly and to pull all seed from the parents and supply with different foods. You are right about asking questions, I have been so worried that words that felt like accusations affected me more than usual.
Again, thanks. If there is ever a next time I think I will stay away from the nest for the first two weeks.

Hennafairy

Meeting neighbors
I am very sad to say my little baby died somewhere in the past hour or so.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
I'm so sorry to hear this Hennafairy. You did your very best. Please don't be put off by some of the responses. These are lovely people who care so passionately about animals and their welfare and some people can be blunt but I know in my heart no one here meant to offend you. Sorry for the sadness you must feel. You are most welcome and it's also perfectly a OK to say you felt bad because some of the replies were blunt. But they all mean well .

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry

Hennafairy

Meeting neighbors
Thanks guys, I'm so sad. The parents seem ok though. Should I take away their nest box or leave it for them now, I'm not sure. How can I get so attached to a little guy I only knew 5 days?! I guess I'm afraid I did something wrong abd that's what happened to him.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry. I hope you let go of the guilt, you did a lot for the baby and had its best interest at heart. You sought out help and provide a loving home. It is very possible that the baby would not have survived no matter what.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Matt

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I am sorry for you loss. I would take away the nesting box as soon as you can.