• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP!! Sun conure refuses to eat by herself

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I'm new to this forum and need advise with my almost 9 week old sun conure. She is very spoiled and doesn't want to eat by herself, in the mornings she starts yelling out of hunger until I feed her, after that during the day she'll do it again, I've followed the vets instructions of putting spay millet and pellets on her bowl but she barely touches them. Even when I soften the pellets with water! I have to feed her 3 times a day, and I don't know if it's normal if she's too little and I should relax or what .

Also, she has no regard for her cage or playing gym, it seems she doesn't like her parrot area, she ends up flying to the bed, or to the living room.

I really don't know what to do, help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

Please don´t panic. Your bird is still a baby and will require handfeeding for another few weeks. Even the average weaning age is just that - an average.

Some weaning tips; right after the handfeeding, offer her the millet, or veggies or pellets etc. And always have (adult) foods around for her to try.

As for toys, try introducing some smaller foot toys on a table during the day, play with them with her and show her how to play with them.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I personally would just enjoy this time together and not stress. As long as she's happy and healthy, she'll likely outgrow the need. My four month old (decades ago) regressed and I hand fed her all over again even at 16 weeks.

sunnysara

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

Please don´t panic. Your bird is still a baby and will require handfeeding for another few weeks. Even the average weaning age is just that - an average.

Some weaning tips; right after the handfeeding, offer her the millet, or veggies or pellets etc. And always have (adult) foods around for her to try.

As for toys, try introducing some smaller foot toys on a table during the day, play with them with her and show her how to play with them.
Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely try that!