• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Stunted feather growth Bantam chick

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I raise bantams for their smaller eggs and just cause I enjoy having them. I purchased a set of 8, though one died. So out of my remaining 7 most are doing really good.

However, I examined my larger yellow chick who looks like she'll be white/barbed. And her feathers are stunted. Some look like they were clipped short... I have a mite spray I intend to use, but I dont know if this safe or genetic.

I'll post a picture later, but it really does look like a hack job with scissors done by poor grooming.

Other than that, she's pretty healthy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well, I hope she will be ok, sure is a cutie!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Can you send a picture of her tail? Tail growth might help me rule out somethings. Can you also share the age and breed of the little bantam? :)

What diet are you currently feeding? What is the protein % ? What kind of snacks are being offered?

All this will help me help her :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How are your chicks doing? Any changes in feather growth?

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Yes. Eureka has her flights in. Pretty pattern, but for some reason she's just slower to grow them. I checked with people who 'breed' chickens and they sometimes it happens especially with an unknown stock.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Can you send a picture of her tail? Tail growth might help me rule out somethings. Can you also share the age and breed of the little bantam? :)

What diet are you currently feeding? What is the protein % ? What kind of snacks are being offered?

All this will help me help her :)
I'm feeding the medicated starter feed until they're old enough to come off it. I also feed sprouts and other greens every other day.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Medicated starter? Did a vet suggest this to you? I would use a standard starter. You don't want to raise the chicks on antibiotics or the like, it can compromise their digestive flora. Unless you have a care plan as per a vet care plan to tackle a known illness. But from what I know in these post I wouldn't be medicating babies. Only think of the birds here :)

This is a brand I trust Barastoc. Maybe you can fine something similar in your area?

Barastoc Chick Starter | Pet Circle

Fresh foods are great! You can buy a few feeder crickets for them too. Only a fun occasional treat. They hunt, so is good practice for them. You can see their little Dino personality come out.

Poor development does happen. Sometimes it can be fatal. Really sad when it is. I had a chick with a vaulted skull. She passed at 7weeks :( if you aren't familiar a vaulted skull is bred intentionally in some show breeds to enhance the appearance of feathers on their heads. Normally it means they have an opening in the skull and are prone to brain injury.. chickens also peck heads for hierarchy ...bad idea just for looks. I am against vaulted skulls.

I really love chickens. I am glad yours are growing. Hopefully the one lagging behind grows into a sound adult. Delayed growth can be from improper diet or lack of calories. So I would possibly offer multiple dishes of feed, especially if she is smaller the larger chicks could be pushing her away from the grub. :)

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I'm using the stuff that came suggested from the store. Eureka is doing much better on feathers since I started offering greens and seed base. She is actually my third largest chick.