• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Help!!!!!! Sented candle!!!!!!!!!eaten

Status
Not open for further replies.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Ok I feel so STUPID and I'm in COMPLETE panic mode. On top of the turtle tank I have a scented candle, I hardly ever lit it, until skittles came, now I never light it. Anyway, usually I remove the scented candle when he is in the room, But stupid me...FORGOT! :o: And he was over there for 10 minutes and I was like thats longer than usual...( he usually sits there for 1-3 minutes and flies straight back to me) ANd then I discovered him eating it!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it poisonous?! I have no idea what brand it is, I didn't buy it... Do I take him to a vet..is there nothing can do..?
I'm super duper scared now and I can only think of the worst. :confused: I make so many rookie bird keeping mistakes. LOL.
Please help, I can't stop stressing!!!!!!! :(

Last edited:

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
I would be taking him to a vet but I know that is not an option for you so hopefully someone will come along soon with some advice. I consider them poisonous, and will not allow ANY candles in my house.

Peanut Butter is fed to birds who may have eaten something- it will bind to the foreign object and help it pass. Im not sure if it will help in this situation though.

Seeing as you cannot get to a vet, give any avian vet in Melbourne a call and they can tell you what needs to be done

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Ok, I will tell my mum as I can't do that LOL and I will se if we hav peanut Butter! Thanks for the help!! I don't care if a Avian et is out of reach IM GUNNA GET ONE! Lol Maytake 2 hours but I am going near the city for netball training soon. I will see if mum can take him while I go.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
How much of the candle did he eat? Can you gauge if he ingested a lot of it or just nibbled. Wax shouldn't be the large of a problem, it's the oils used to scent it I'm worried about. Is there any sort of label on it that might help identify it? You might be able to call poison control and ask about common ingredients and if they're toxic. I agree with getting peanut butter in him to help bind it.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Ok, I just checked the cadle, and only nibbles..but it DEFINANTLY is heavily scented, the scent is on my hands just from holding in for 3 seconds.
And I found one label...Made In China...LOL We are buying peanut butter and no vets are open..=( And my mum doesn't understand how serious this could be..:(
I have to leave for netball so I'm hoping I don't come home to a dead bird ='(

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Well can you call the vet you took him to for the sneezing? They often have an answering service open that will direct you to where you can call.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought it's the wicks with lead burning that makes candles dangerous? The scent might be an issue, but if he only had a tiny bit? Just don't panic, stay positive. I hope he will be ok.:hug8:

Last edited:

sue bee

Moving in
as water faller said stay possitive, if you can't get to the vets give him a spritz, bath etc hopefully he'll drink lots of water an that should help his body to flush out/dilute any nasties from candle!:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Most of the danger from scented candles is that the essential oils used to scent them,when burned-are toxic to the birds respiratory system:(I can find nothing about its being ingested:( I would call a Vet ! How is He after this amount of time has passed? Praying that He will be OK:hug8:

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks just got home he was screaming like usual He seems to be bobbing his head alot, I had no time to call a vet today, I will tomorrow though. He only got a tiny bit because most of it dropped back in the candle thank god. But i am still cocerned.

minirachie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rachel
No6 having much luck with the peanutbutter, he doesn't seem to like it that much but we did get some in :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How about a bit of mineral oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.