• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 HELP! Scab and blood on the lower part of my budgie's keel!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the blood dripping or does the area just have wet blood on it?

Try not to poke, prod or rub with that cotton bud- your bird seriously needs to see a vet.
First up we need to know how bad the bleeding is

BirbBudgie

Sitting on the front steps
Is it fatal and I really need the name for this infection

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it fatal and I really need the name for this infection
Can you answer if the blood is dripping or if the bloody area is just wet?
Bleeding can be fatal fairly quickly as birds don’t have a big blood supply and any open wound has the potential to become infected.

What country and area are you in? You NEED a vet to check this birds wound out.

BirbBudgie

Can you answer if the blood is dripping or if the bloody area is just wet?
Bleeding can be fatal fairly quickly as birds don’t have a big blood supply and any open wound has the potential to become infected.

What country and area are you in? You NEED a vet to check this birds wound out.
It's very small BLEEDING about the size of a quarter of a pea. I also like In Canada, Quebec Near south of Montreal (cannot specify were for security reasons)

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
It's very small BLEEDING about the size of a quarter of a pea. I also like In Canada, Quebec Near south of Montreal (cannot specify were for security reasons)
Ok if it's bleeding yes, it will get fatal very quickly. Budgies can only lose like 10 to 12 drops of blood before it becomes fatal. No one here can tell you the name of the condition for sure. Only a vet can tell you, that too after running tests. Please answer, do you have a vet or not? If you don't, we can help you find a vet in your area.

BirbBudgie

Ok if it's bleeding yes, it will get fatal very quickly. Budgies can only lose like 10 to 12 drops of blood before it becomes fatal. No one here can tell you the name of the condition for sure. Only a vet can tell you, that too after running tests. Please answer, do you have a vet or not? If you don't, we can help you find a vet in your area.
I do not have a vet but I am planning to have an appointment as soon as possible, should I schedule an appointment or rush to the emergency room?

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
I do not have a vet but I am planning to have an appointment as soon as possible, should I schedule an appointment or rush to the emergency room?
You could try to schedule an appointment but you'll need one soon, like tomorrow. Most vets won't be able to do that and will only give you an appointment like 2 weeks or a month out which won't work because your situation is urgent. You're better off rushing him to the emergency room. Make sure you find an AVIAN vet though. Most regular vets only treat dogs and cats. Good luck, I hope the vet can give you a solution and treat him :hug8:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Call your local vets as soon as they’re open (I’m not sure what time it is where you are) and tell them exactly what the problem is and ask for an urgent or emergency appointment.

Your little bird needs to see the vet as soon as possible.

BirbBudgie

Call your local vets as soon as they’re open (I’m not sure what time it is where you are) and tell them exactly what the problem is and ask for an urgent or emergency appointment.

Your little bird needs to see the vet as soon as possible.
It is currently 4 in the morning and i have been up all night to try to find what's wrong with my budgie after all, that coffee still has not gone away.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So if your bird is not actively dripping blood right now it might be a good idea to let your bird rest quietly and for you to get a bit of rest too and call the vet as soon as they open in the morning.

BirbBudgie

It is currently 4 in the morning and i have been up all night to try to find what's wrong with my budgie after all, that coffee still has not gone away.
Also I will try my best to explain what it is. So basicly it's a scab like tissue it's dark red close to the colour black. Because of the blood. His physical behavior is completely normal, he does not look like he is in pain thought he does scratch it sometimes. He has his wings clipped and he sometimes likes to jump off things and gets bruses on his "knees" but that's not a big deal it heals quickly. I clean his cage every week and give him premium bird pellets and seeds. He loves to "point" where he wants to go and I make him go there. He mimics clicking sounds. He is a male He is inbeetween 5 months to 1 year old. He rarely bites and is overall a good boy. I once introduced him to a baby robin. So yeah this explains my bird!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Le français est-il votre langue maternelle ? Pardonnez-moi de le dire, mais vous semblez jeune. Si c'est vrai, est-ce que vous ou vos parents pourrez prendre rendez-vous avec un vétérinaire aviaire ? Nous ne pouvons pas diagnostiquer votre oiseau sur Internet même si nous étions vétérinaires. Votre perruche doit être examinée par un vétérinaire.

(Is French your native language? Forgive me for saying so, but you seem young. If that's true, will you or your parents be able to make an appointment with an Avian Vet? We cannot diagnose your bird over the internet even if we were veterinarians. Your budgerigar needs to be examined by a vet.)

BirbBudgie

Le français est-il votre langue maternelle ? Pardonnez-moi de le dire, mais vous semblez jeune. Si c'est vrai, est-ce que vous ou vos parents pourrez prendre rendez-vous avec un vétérinaire aviaire ? Nous ne pouvons pas diagnostiquer votre oiseau sur Internet même si nous étions vétérinaires. Votre perruche doit être examinée par un vétérinaire.

(Is French your native language? Forgive me for saying so, but you seem young. If that's true, will you or your parents be able to make an appointment with an Avian Vet? We cannot diagnose your bird over the internet even if we were veterinarians. Your budgerigar needs to be examined by a vet.)
Yes french is my native language And I am going to the vet very soon once we can get an apointment

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How old is your budgie and is he clipped?

A clipped budgie - especially a baby - can fall a lot. When I brought home my baby she was clipped but still wanted to climb and explore all over and I didn't have the heart to stop her. Sometimes she fell but would climb up and look fine. After about two weeks she developed a scab on her belly just like your budgie. Even though I always looked her over when she fell, and she seemed ok, she had managed to damage the skin over the back edge of her keel bone and the wound had gotten infected. In this case, she just needed 2 weeks of antibiotics from the vet, and she was completely fine. But it could've been bad without the antibiotics.

With an older budgie especially a flighted one that isn't going to fall, a tumor is the most likely problem. Probably a fatty or cholesterol tumor. It's still important to see the vet, but there might not be a lot they can do surgically. Bird's skin isn't as elastic as ours and makes it hard to close large wounds. However, budgies can live for awhile with a tumor like that, and there's a chance that the tumor may shrink with diet and exercise. Also offer him baths as this will help moisturize the skin around the tumor and reduce bleeding.